One of the largest pools I will ever see (The NBL)

divnkd101

LifeTime Supporter
I have been wanting to share this with everyone but just have not had the time. How many of you have seen the Movie "Armeggedon"? Well, if you remember all of the scenes where they did the training in the water, do I have a treat for you.
I am an avid scuba diver. I have been diving for several years now. While going to school, I held a job at a dive shop where I was given the opportunity to make alot of new friends. Well, alot of those friends work for NASA at/in The NBL (Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory). I took a trip down to Clear Lake, TX. a few weeks ago to catch up with old friends at The NBL. While there, I asked for permission to post some shots of the pool and share them with all of you. When I mean pool, I mean pool. Just to give you an idea of how large this pool is, picture the Space Shuttle and then picture 4 of them in the pool at the same time. The pool holds 6.2 million gallons of water, is 202 feet long by 102 feet wide, and 40 feet deep. I am told that the pool water is receycled every 19-20 hours (I will let the pump curve folks figure that one). Anyways, I thought I would share my experience with all of you. Here are some shots. The underwater shots are of mock-ups for the International Space Station currently orbiting our Earth. Enjoy. I send a special thanks to the entire gang at the NBL (Thanks guys and girls).

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.