70's piping layout question

Jun 7, 2015
Ft Worth Texas
I bought a house about 5 years ago and has a 10 x 80 6' deep lap pool with a 5 x 5 hot tub totally separate no overflow or anything about 5' away. Pump went out as I was opening pool last year so didn't use it as well as it has seemed I have air leaks and had been struggling with it since we moved in. This year I have drained it for a deep clean pressure wash, it was in bad condition with algae etc... am looking at how it is plumbed and in some ways makes no sense to me. First, is all of the valves are old school ball valves so have talked with some folks that have said those could be culprit on the air leaks so am going to replace with Jandy's. As I am looking at the pipes, the pool and Hot tub are piped together, the hot tub wont stay full by the way and I think it is draining back into pool. Is there a reason for the pool and Hot tub to be connected? I have a complete separate 1 HP pump and cartridge filter on the hot tub with two air blowers and heater, and a 1.5 HP pump and DE filter for pool. Heater was as far as I know never intended to heat pool, I have no plan to use it for that anyway, it would be way to expensive! I have looked at some of the other posts here and most seem to pipe them together but the pool and spa are usually connected.

Morgan,

If the spa has its own pump and filter, then there is not need for it to be connected to the pool... But, not doing so, means that you will have two bodies of water to take care of.. In my mind, it would be better to have one system that circulated the pool water through both the pool and the spa... and then isolated from the pool when you wanted to heat the spa..

Show us some pics...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Interesting thought Jim. I have not really been able to use the spa much since it drains down about 2/3 as soon as you turn it off, it goes down some when running but mainly once off it goes down in about 2 hours, perhaps as I said, flowing back into pool as it does set a bit higher so I have always thought they may be seeking level. I keep meaning to pull out my transit level and shoot the grades but haven't. I also notice in most diagrams there are check valves and there isnt a single one in this system.

Maddie, here is a pic of the pool, it usually does not have all the vines but since i Haven't been using it I wasn't keeping them cut back, that's in process now. It is a very nice setting when all clean an working.
pool pipe.jpg
pool empty.jpg

Morgan,

Looks like you have a job ahead of you.. I like it.. I'd love to be able to take more than two strokes before running into the other side of my pool.. :)

Your Spa pump line has a check valve in it..

Your pic reminds me of old WWII submarine with all the rotary valves.. Dive, Dive, Dive!!! Your pool is just about long enough to float one in it.. :mrgreen:

When the spa drains down, does it stop just at the bottom of the jets, or does it drain well below the jets.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hahah yea, exactly. It drains below jets, almost to the seat. I bought this house out of an estate, the caretaker had been sweeping and keeping chemicals in it more or less but didnt know anything about the pool or spa who could tell me much of anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.