White spots on fiberglass pool

Dec 30, 2013
Warner Robins, GA
OK, I drank the kool aid and ordered one of the recommended test kits (should arrive by Thursday). However, I still wanted to keep the chemicals at decent levels so I pulled out the trusty test strips. My TA was way low, so having some "Alkalinity Up" product left, I sprinkled some into the pool. Bad idea. Now I have white spotting (lots of it) where the chemical settled and when I try to sweep it to get it to dissolve, nothing happens. Have I just ruined the finish of my fiberglass pool? Help, please.

Well, I'm sorry I can't say for sure. Hate to hear it, but test strips with multi analytes
almost always get folks in trouble one way or another. I wish you had decided to take a sip a little earlier, but glad you got a kit.
Let us know if we can help once you have it in hand.

bear31088,

One of the basic tenants we teach on this forum is precision testing. To think you had to drink kool aid indicates you may not really see that importance.....at least, not yet.

Using "trusty" and "test strips" in the same sentence does not help. Test strips are pretty worthless for what we do so I hope your kit can get to you soon and we can help you start down a good path.

Thank you for all. I didn't mean to sound like a smart ***** with the kool aid comment, but all the chemical testing involved is pretty overwhelming to me. After studying all the chemicals, what they are and what they do, I still can't remember what some do or don't do or how they interact with other chemials. I'm still studying. And I finally got my test kit - the Taylor K2006. I wasn't expecting a samll briefcase full of stuff, but I'll make it thru. I plan on getting familiar enough with the kit so that by this Saturday I can attempt to test for all the MAJOR items covered in the Pool Math section. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.