Another Texan!

Feb 6, 2014
Leander, TX
Howdy all, I'm from the Austin suburb of Leander, TX. Grew up in Central Texas, so I'm not one of those transplants<grin>. We recently moved in to a home with an AWESOME pool and now that spring is here, I need to start learning how to manage it! :) Assume nothing with me, I'm ignorant and in need of everything basic as it relates to pool care/maintenance! Please take it easy on me:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome!

I second the suggestion to spend your time in Pool School. Read it, then read it again. It made my head hurt for I hated chemistry and as I'd never had a pool it was hard to understand at first. But, take notes, make copies, whatever it takes. You will benefit from starting a book that contains the details of your equipment. So nice to know the model numbers without going out in the dark to see what that equipment says when you are trying to order something online.
In my book, I added all the phone numbers of the local stores that carry things I need. Not just the 3 main pool stores and their other nearby sites, but places like the hardware stores and grocery stores and big box stores too. When you find a product at a good price, write that price down. You may need to call around for comparisons if they raise that price in the future. As you find things out that are specific to your pool, like how much CYA a weeks worth of tabs will add to the pool, or how much FC you get from a scoop of cal-hypo, write all those things down. Too many numbers to remember them all.