Jandy Heater Error

Feb 17, 2013
I've got a Jandy Aqualink system with a Jandy Propane heater. I'm getting an error code on the heater panel of ignition fault, check ignition.

Where do I start with trouble shooting? I took the front panel off and set it to run no fan no sound of an ignition attempt after about 5-10 minutes the error appears. The hand held says "on". Unit is 6 years old.

To start with, a model number would be needed so we can look up the wiring schematic for it. My first guess is a bad igniter. Not sure if your model has a draft inducer fan (the schematic I saw did not show one), not all do.

I have the serial number and model numbers. Theyare Model LXi 250P serial number B08LC1185. I believe it does have a fan in it as I've heard it run before and that was always my clue that it was working. (This has happened once or twice before after it hasn't been used for a while but after a couple of tries it always fired up. I'll double check the tank but I'm pretty sure it has gas since the grill is tied in and we just used it and it works fine, and the Propane co. comes out and never lets it get below 30%.

I put a new temp probe for the water (we were getting a reading of 177 on the hand held) now it reads correctly, and thought that might be related to the heater problem, but I'm now guessing they are two different issues.

If you don't hear that blower motor run before it tries to light, then there is an obvious issue. The blower motor starts and runs on a low speed until the system lights. Then it goes into a second speed. If the the blower motor never turns on then you will get an error on the heaters display. Similarly, if the blower motor does run, but the air tube between the blower motor and the air switch is busted, maybe a mouse chewed it, then the unit may or may not light but will not stay lit and will give you the ignition error.

If you aren't hearing the blower motor as you say, it is possibly an issue with that motor. They are a pain in the rear to replace. That's my opinion though.

Blower motor (in a functioning heater) will not come on unless switches in the safety group are satisfied. This includes thermostat set to temp higher than temp it gets from sensor. Unfortunately, you should start there. Air flow switch is delayed/proven later from the ignition control box. Because you need fan air flow b4 you get switch proof, IOW, if you needed airflow switch proof b4 fan was given voltage, you would never get blower to come on. IGN box checks for air switch proof after blower is running, then gives voltage to HSI. At this point, it is up to the gas valve to work.

Does any of this make sense???

Still having heater problems

I'm still having Jandy LXI heater problems. The blower doesn't come on, and after about 5 inutes you get a "fault" error "check ignition".

I followed a trouble shooting guide and it said the blower motor was bad, it ran on the bench at 110 volt but not 220 volt, so assume the motor is bad and replaced the unit withi a brand new Jandy blower/motor unit. Still does the same thing. Went back through the trouble shooting guide again and I get the same result, power to the blue wire going to the motor but it doesn't run.

One interesting factor, if you hook the VOM to the blue and black wires (which on the jandy wire diagram should power the motor (you don't get 220 volt you get a reading of "1". If you touch the blue wire and a ground with the VOM you get 110 (or higher) volts, and the same with the black wire and the ground.

Am I missing something really simple? There is 220 volts coming in to the unit as per the trouble shooting guide (which was really helpful!)

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. This is making me crazy now!

Has anyone done any electrical work in the house lately? In order for to get 240v each of the two wires needs to be on opposite legs of the breaker box. Start tracing the wires back and disconnect and check each junction point. somewhere something got messed up. also check the input and output of the control board. The reading you get when you touch the meter to both leads tells me that both legs of the wiring are on the same leg of the service

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Still having heater problems

I'm still having Jandy LXI heater problems. The blower doesn't come on, and after about 5 minutes you get a "fault" error "check ignition".

Edit: Danpiks' suggestion would be easy to try first before all this...

If you are getting lockout after about 5 min, then ign control thinks it is giving power to the blower. It tries this 3 times then locks out w/error (about 5 min). Either ign box has bad connection internally, or externally, meaning wiring to the blower (including power dist. board), or its connection to the blower. Perform step 10 thru 12 test (Danpiks' troubleshooting link), While you are in a call for heat condition. I would wait about 30 seconds after you put it into call for heat before you start to test voltage(s). Basically what you are doing is testing voltage in and out of IGN box, voltage into the power distribution board, power out of that board, and finally, power into the blower. Problem with this flow chart is that it trusts that all wiring is good cuz it doesnt make you check all in and out voltages because it doesn't always provide all the test points.

Good luck.

Re: Still having heater problems

I think I just got to the bottom of the problem this weekend. As I was going over the votages I got to F1 & F2 on the ignition module and as I was sticking in the probe and smoke came out of the module. I killed the power at the breaker and pulled the module free opend the back up and board is burnt where the plug connects to the board. Looks like either bad solder joint or maybe the old blower moter shorted out and this was the closest link to give out? I have a new one coming this week, is there anything I need to be concerend with up stream or down stream? I've checked every tracing on the power distribution board and all of the voltages and it's solid.

Thanks for all of the help with my Jandy Heater problems. The part ignition module came today and it's working! The board in the module where the blower attaches is severely burnt! Until something else goes bad we'll have a hot time in the pool spa!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.