What are my options here?

Jun 7, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I'm a CPO, but I have zero experience with building pools/spas. I've only worked on the public pool and spa at work.

Is this worth fixing up or is it better to just rip it out of the ground, pour concrete and buy a used above ground spa from Craigslist or something?

iEj9g3W.jpg

GnFa3oJ.jpg

5BunIGQ.jpg

N6x1NGC.jpg

9XrW4Jq.jpg

kbLXaY0.jpg

Attachments

• iEj9g3W.jpg
    iEj9g3W.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 152
Where are you located ??
Have you tried the pump to see if it starts up ??
If you're some place that doesn't hard freeze you need to clean it out and get some water in it and judge it's performance.
It looks like **** now but with some pressure washing and a coat or two of paint it might be nice.

Or rip it out and fill it in.

I see what looks like some serious cracking and deformations.
Depending on what shape the plumbing and equipment is in, I might be inclined to tear it out and buy a standalone unit. Either that or tear it out and replace it with a new built in unit of the same size.

Wow! My dad and I used to install in ground spas back in the 80s (Kohler) but I haven't seen one in a while. Cracks could just be gelcoat, does the shell feel sturdy or does it deform with weight? Do you have access under spa for plumbing? I have seen some installations where no access was possible. Then, you just need the heater, pump and everything else to work...No biggie!

The spa only has one pump and in that electrical panel, there's a timer. I'm guessing it's for the filter pump.

What about pump for the spa jets? Does it use the same pump?

I also need a new electrical panel that has space for at timer in it. Are these special boxes or do you have to get them through a pool/spa parts vendor?

Yeah, I'll go back over there and take some more pictuers. That electrica panel was pretty beat up, though, and the timers were not working. How about the filter? Do they still make cartridges for these ones? They're Sta rites

Is there a filter in there now? If so, have you tried cleaning it? Otherwise, just have to get the model # and info and look online for new filters.

Not sure what you mean by the electrical panel being "beat up", but if it's a matter of rusty appearance, dents, or a door that doesn't stay closed, those are things that wouldn't prevent you from testing the really important parts of your system. Most timers have an override switch, in the timer box, so you can turn the pump motor on regardless of whether the clock part of the timer is working. If you really want to see if the existing equipment can be brought back to life, then I'd clean the filter as other's have already suggested and clean out the gunk in the spa itself, fill it with water and turn on power with valves in the correct positions. Then you'll be better able to access whether you should invest any more money.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.