First Pool, About to Get Started

Aug 12, 2013
South Louisiana
I have been lurking, reading, and educating myself on here for many months. Great site, great members and great info. This is going to be our first pool. I'll spare you the details of how we went from community pool members, to possible Intex, to permanent AGP. I've read Pool School several times and will continue to review it until I feel like I have a better understanding of what I'm doing.

We decided on an 18'x54" round, Sharkline Venture from Pool Supply World. As part of my order, I will purchase a TF-100 kit because I've decided we are going to start off, and hopefully stay with, the BBB method. I moved from self installation to hiring an installer, and done a ton of research on installers in my area. I'm very comfortable with our selection and have another really good one to go with if I decide to change. I know I will have many more questions as time goes on (please bear with us), but here is the two biggest issues I have now.

I'm told that a 54" pool will usually be filled to approximately 48". If that is correct, my volume calculations come to 7,600 gallons of water. Is that correct and is that the volume I should be using when I'm calculating chemicals or do I use 54"?

2) The installer I chose recommends a cartridge filter because he feels the online vendors usually under sell the sand filter to save on shipping. He also likes that the cartridge filter filters smaller microns. Another installer that we almost chose prefers a sand filter for cheaper cost and easier to use, but for the same reason stated above he recommends buying the filter locally. When I called the reputable local pool store, they recommended a 19" sand filter (approximately 150 lbs of sand) or a 150 sq ft cartridge filter. Pool Supply World offers a 16" or 19" Waterway sand filter and Hi Flo 1 hp single speed pump, or a Clearwater II 100 sq ft or 150 sq ft cartridge filter with a Hi Flo 1.5 dual speed pump. SO NOW I'M REALLY CONFUSED AND UNDECIDED with what to choose and do I buy the pump/filter locally or online. Between the forum and people I personally know, I realize that a pool can be successfully maintained with sand or cartridge, provided it is the correct size and runs for the correct amount of time per day. Like most other people, I want to balance energy efficiency and enough filter to efficiently clean my pool. I certainly don't want to save a few dollars on the set-up just to spend more time and money on maintenance.

3) Can simply purchase a time at a local home improvement store or should I buy one from a pool retailer?

4) Based on some research, I'm planning to use Gorilla Pad under the liner. The installer had no specific recommendation on brand, but certainly believes that some kind of underlay is good. Another installer recommended Perfect Bottom, but that stuff is very expensive (which is worth it if it works); however, I was able to find more info on Gorilla Pad and the reviews were very good. The price difference is significant ($80 or over $300). Any opinion on this issue?

5) Lighting is another confusion of mine. Through wall or over top? LED or regular and what wattage? We aren't concerned about colored lighting (at least I don't think so), but want sufficient lighting because we will likely be using the pool at night quite a bit.

I plan to order my pool within the next two weeks and have the install in 4 to 6 weeks. The beauty of this project is that I have had plenty of time to research and plan. Thanks in advance for your help and information.

Use the actual water depth.
Typically a 2-speed is the way to go depends on your energy cost. Set up you pool so the skimmer is down wind during the summer breezes. The largest filter you can afford, but a 100 or 150 will do you fine. You may have to clean it more often during heavy usage.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

If you start with TFPC (formerly BBB) you will never look back. The core of TFPC is educating yourself and precise testing.......exactly the path you are headed down. Getting a jump start on your water management will keep your pool crystal clear year round.

The age old argument for type of filter is interminable but a principle that applies to both types you are considering.......always go with a slightly larger filter than you think you need. It'll pay you back time after time. I know that's a generalization but it's very applicable to filters.

Welcome to TFP !!

I'll make a few comments.

I would go with a 1 hp 2 speed pump. I have the hayward powerflo matrix and it's great. Lots of other folks on the forum have it also. The filter is up to you. Yes bigger is better. They will all do a good job. Keeping your water chemistry balanced is a huge part in the way your water looks.

As for the gorilla pad, you will get no comfort from it. It is intended for protecting the liner from punctures. If you have nut grass or roots that would puncture the liner then yes. I have no liner pad and my pool bottom feels just fine. The perfect bottom is very pricey for what it is.

I have an over the wall light. It's a nitelighter colored light. That's what the kids wanted soooo. It works well they like it. Here's a link to one http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Acces.../Nitelighter-Economy-Above-Ground-Pool-Light/. That link didn't work like it should have. Search that site they have them along with numerous other sites.

One last thing don't forget to get yourself one of our recommended test kits. Small investment for a trouble free pool.

Keep us posted on what you decide. Any more questions you know where to go. ! ?

Thanks for the help. The pool install is scheduled for this coming Friday, 3/28. My TF-100 is in shipping. I plan to test my tap water when I get it, I will be prepared for when the pool is filled.

Do I need to slam the water initially or just start managing it based on the water needs? When does one slam the water?

Thanks again.

There's really no need to SLAM a fresh fill. The reason to SLAM is if you have visible algae, cloudy water at the out start of an algae bloom or if your test results would indicate a SLAM is needed.
After the fill just get all your parameters in range and you'll be good to go. The PH and FC are the things that need to addressed first. Put enough bleach in to get you to 2-3 ppm at first. Then get your stabilizer in for what CYA level you want to be at. Then after CYA is dissolved adjust FC accordingly. The CYA will take a week to fully register on a test so just assume it's there.
Post up a set of your fill water levels and we can see what they look like, plus you get to play with the test kit. ?

Two weeks ago, I got the Nightlighter on eBay, brand new for $63. The company has since raised the price. I would keep an eye on eBay for a price drop.

As for the filter, go as big as you can afford. I have sand and I hardly backwash and my pool stays crystal clear. I give intex kudos for the price and warranty on this system. First replacement is no questions. For the price, I can get a new pump every few years if required.

Two weeks ago, I got the Nightlighter on eBay, brand new for $63. The company has since raised the price. I would keep an eye on eBay for a price drop.

As for the filter, go as big as you can afford. I have sand and I hardly backwash and my pool stays crystal clear. I give intex kudos for the price and warranty on this system. First replacement is no questions. For the price, I can get a new pump every few years if required.

We bought the Nitelighter 50watts, about two weeks ago..Can't wait to see how good it works..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.