LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We're looking for a Weather station (indoor/outdoor temps, humidity, et al) that can allow a Pool Temp sensor device/hookup. Have done some research - found Oregon Scientific that seems to provide these features. Expensive($200+) and the floating Sensor seems to have common complaints of Leakage after 6-8 months (seal issue). But they DO seem to have the compatibility thing all figured out for multiple sensors.

Anybody have a suggestion for such a unity & sensor ? I don't like the idea of having to replace the floating sensor every year @ $45 .. Secondly, other than a floating sensor, what other options might we have? I don't necessarily like the idea of a unit floating around the pool - probably will constantly be catching it at the skimmer.

Thanks everyone.

I bought the oregon scientific station with the water temp sensor about the time I put in my pool. The water sensor died after 6 / 7 months and with the auto cover closed it would not always connect to the station. The other weather sensors all still work and its been about 3 years.

Thanks for the input ... Yea, that's what I've been reading - the Pool Sensor leaks. I've sent 2 emails to Oregon Scientific about the issue and they don't care to reply.. So I'll look at other companies. I don't like doing business with companies that just don't CARE.

If you are a techie/DIY'er, you could look into a Raspberry Pi or Arduino board and you can build your own sensors and have them communicate back to you and/or store your data. I have a friend who just built an Arduino board that monitors the current, temp, humidity...etc on his geothermal HVAC and it notifies him via text message when things go wrong. I'm sure you could find sensors for your application that would communicate with the board.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/arduino-vs-raspberry-pi-which-is-the-mini-computer-for-you/

Certainly not turn-key, but I thought I would mention it!
-Bryan

Yea, not THAT "diy" ... lol ... but Thanks ... I need to keep Google Searching .. I'm really looking for a floating Sensor that won't Leak and need replaced once a year - and communicates with a Base Weather Station.

Thanks again.

The pool water temp sensors for most all the automation systems are inserted through a hole in one of the PVC pipes on the equipment pad and is wired to the controller. There is nothing floating to start to leak, just an o-ring that seals around the hole in the pipe. Not sure what it would take for one of the weather stations you are looking for to be able to use one of the typical pool water temp sensors.

Yea, I've stumbled across that .. They're called "Linear Pool Temp Sensors" or something like that ... All I've found so far is the Sensor that has the wire - I assumed it screwed directly into a PVC pipe in the system.... I can't find any instructions on everything required though to make it work ... e.g., What does the wire plug into? What is the Base Station used & how does it communicate with the Wire & Sensor ..?? Anyone have a link to the HOW TO Install both components ? Is it a DIY job ??

Thanks so much.

There is no real communication for the temp sensors, they are just thermistors. The temp changes causes a resistance change. The same senors are also used for the air temps.

To install the sensor, you just drill a hole in the pipe, stick the sensor in with the oring on it and use a pipe clamp to hold it on. There is a pair of wires connected to the sensor and the other end of the wire is just 2 bare ends that attach to your "controller" which just measures the resistance across the sensor and based on some table can then state the temperature.

OK, but then what is the "process" to install a Weather Base Station in the house that detects/displays the Pool Temp ? Does it "read" that inline sensor somehow? I've seen these in various homes ... Sorry for the stupid questions. Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't know anything about weather stations. I was just explaining how most pool water temp sensors work ... up to you to figure out how to integrate it into something for what you are looking for. ;)

Wow ...Great ... Let me know what you find out... Thanks so much !!
Got it in yesterday. Once I got all the sensors synced up it seems to be working well. It comes with 3 weather proof remotes and I got the pool remote add on.
Here us a pick if the base and one of the remotes.
ama7u2u4.jpg

The top is the pool, 2 is upstairs, 3 is outside under the pergola and the bottom rotates between the base and the 3rd remote sensor.

Here is the thermometer in the pool
ujujymy4.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Too bad there isn't a TIME/CLOCK function on the base unit ... That's probably the only thing missing IMHO ... But the price is certainly right @ $53 ... And Oregon Scientific refuses to answer my emails ... So not interested in spending $300+ for their system if that's the kind of support to expect. I'll probably just go with this set up .. Thanks so much !!

FYI the pool thermometer was an extra $25. With shipping the whole thing was about $85

Support was great. I was having trouble getting the sensors to link. I called and got a human right way and he walked me through it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.