variable speed pump ?

Donny

Feb 1, 2014
Upstate, NY
My average electric rate is 9.902 per KWH here in Upstate New York. I was thinking a variable speed pump or 2 speed pump would provide me with a little savings in electrical usage. My PB wants to use a single speed pump and this is what I am contracted for ?? Any thoughts? Thx

I would go for the 2-speed over either the single-speed or variable-speed. The 2-speed of equivalent output should cost $80-100 more than the single-speed and you will recoup much of that difference within the first year or so in reduced electrical costs. Variable speed pumps are a big jump in price over 2-speeds and have a lot more complexity and electronic controls.

Your PB should have no problem substituting a 2-speed for the single-speed as long as you pay the difference in cost. If, for whatever reason, he does then I would make it clear that you will consider other builders. That should get his attention.

Worst case , , , don't start up the new pump and sell it to recover some of the $$$ of what a 2 speed will cost. The two speed will pay for itself and one nice benefit is if your pump is out in the open like mine, it's cheaper and quieter when running on low !!

But changing what pump YOU want before the part is plumbed in really shouldn't matter to the contractor unless he's sitting on fifty of them he got cheap and thinks he can make a killing forcing them on his clients.

2 speed, cost recovery in less than a year at 9 cents. The ROI on a VS requires 20 cent electric given all of the other extra components required to make it work.

OK as recommended here on TFP, I went with the 2 inch PVC and a Hayward VS pump. I know some suggested a 2 speed pump, but I just went for the VS. We still have snow on the ground here in upstate NY and the PB did not start breaking ground yet. Getting close though.

What abt the flow of the waterfall on a 2 SPd or vs?
My PB is saying he could go with either with that extra cost.
But he is saying the savings is like 8-9 dollars per month.
It will take 4-5 yrs to recoup that extra 300-400 dollars I would have to pay.
I m in tx and we pay abt 10 cents/kWh for 1 yr contract.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Crank the pump to high when you have a party or want to feature the waterfall.

On the use ...Don't trust your pb. Do the math. Using rough example numbers a single speed pump is around 3000 kWh a year to run. A VS or 2 speed will be between 750 and 1500.

Again rough numbers and if you run your pool more than is required to get a single turnover the 3000 number could be more like 6000 or 9000. At a 10 cent rate just drop the last zero and you have your annual cost.

To find your numbers get the amperage or wattage of the pump and your anticipated run times. Using those numbers you can find the kWh and extrapolate the cost per year to run.

FYI a 2 speed pump
Is not an extra 300-400.

What abt the flow of the waterfall on a 2 SPd or vs?
My PB is saying he could go with either with that extra cost.
But he is saying the savings is like 8-9 dollars per month.
It will take 4-5 yrs to recoup that extra 300-400 dollars I would have to pay.
I m in tx and we pay abt 10 cents/kWh for 1 yr contract.

The PB said no problem with the VS set on low and the sheer descents. We will see, I'm sure there will be a learning curve on what speed works and what does not. I just decided to go with the VS. I probably could of saved some money if I went with the 2 speed but at this point, another couple hundred dollars is doable.

I've been running an Intelliflow VS for 7 yrs on a 26,000 gallon pool. I use it to run sheer descents and a pressure cleaner. Zero issues once I dialed in the proper rates. PB couldn't figure it out. Costs about $6/month year round. Love it.

wow- 9.902 per kWh! My rates are only 0.06 per kWh. thank god for cheap hydroelectric power and the salmon be dammed!
I was considering putting in a timer on my pump for cost savings as I run my pump 24/7. (2 year newbie) . Pool always looks good.
I will have to run the numbers to recoup the cost.

wow- 9.902 per kWh! My rates are only 0.06 per kWh. thank god for cheap hydroelectric power and the salmon be dammed!
I was considering putting in a timer on my pump for cost savings as I run my pump 24/7. (2 year newbie) . Pool always looks good.
I will have to run the numbers to recoup the cost.

Pretty sure they meant 9.902 cents per kWh ... not that much more than your 6 cents per kWh.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.