I've stained my vinyl liner....

Dec 19, 2012
Chinag Mai, Thailand
I've just noticed that I've managed to stain the vinyl liner in the pool in my new rented house.

99% sure I've done it with two different chemicals, once with cyanuric acid and once with Borax.

The stains look like light brown/tan patches about an inch to 3 inches across, both the stains look similar even they were caused by different chemicals.

The pool liner is light blue.

Is there a way to get rid of them?

Thanks in advance,

Tom.

Brown/tan patches sound like iron stains. If you have iron in the water, adding borax could cause staining, though adding CYA should not have (borax is basic, while CYA is acidic). Borax should always be pre-dissolved and poured slowly in front of a return jet (with the pump running) to avoid the possibility of problems like this. CYA should be adding by putting it in a sock and placing the sock in the skimmer, which will also avoid any possibility of something like this happening.

Try holding a vitamin C tablet against one of the stained areas for 30 seconds to a minute. If they are indeed iron stains the stain should vanish, or at least lighten significantly, right around where the vitamin C tablet was. If that works you want to do an ascorbic acid treatment to remove the entire stain. If that doesn't work, write back and we can try some other possibilities.

Can you post a pic of the stains? Are there only two small stains?

If the stains test positive for metals, & if they cover a small area, you could treat them with a sock filled with crushed cheap vitamin C tablets (instead of doing a complete ascorbic acid treatment).

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the late response, I didn't have my notifications set up correctly.

Ok, so I dropped a vit c tablet on one of the stains but I have a feeling that not all vit c tablets are created equal, it just kind of gave off some funny coloured liquid that is now on top of the stain.

Do I need to go and find a different sort, or is there another option? I think I have access to ascorbic acid quite nearby if required?

Attached is a picture of one of the stains, although it's not the best - I don't think the camera knows that it needs to focus on the bottom of the pool

Thanks,

Tom.

Attachments

• Vit c.jpg
    Vit c.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 63
  • stain.jpg
    stain.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.