Inline filter for vaccuming

Sep 28, 2009
Burleson, TX
My Aquabot Jr just died this past season and since it only lasted a season and a half, I'm kind of loathe to spend more money on another. The one thing I really liked about the Aquabot though was that it sucked up algae great and I seem to get a lot of it in my pool. If I get a regular vacuum head, my only option would be to vacuum to waste which would dump a *lot* of water. If I vacuum to the DE filter, I get a couple swipes with the vacuum before I have to bump it. I'd really like to have an easy to access intermediate filter between the vacuum head and the pump. Does someone make something like that. I wouldn't mind cleaning it so often if its very easy to access (unlike my DE filter which is under decking.

Or am I just crazy and need to sink more money into another robot? :)

No type of filter or autovac will completely remove algae from your pool and they should not be thought of in that context.

Poor water chemistry is what is causing your algae issue and if you want a really sparkling pool, you should address your chemistry issues first and then keeping the pool pristine with almost any vac and filter is quite doable.

You can vac and filter 24/7/365 and will always have algae until you get adequate chlorine in your pool.

I'm one of *those* guys that lets the pool go to well....you know what in a hand basket over the winter. I dumped 4 gallons of 8.25% bleach in the pool a couple of days ago and it's killed just about all the algae. It's very thick on the bottom. If I vacuum to waste, I'm pretty sure I won't have any water left. Mainly I was just looking for a good way to vacuum to bring it back from winter hibernation without losing all that water.

As an update, I've replaced the slimebag with some diesel filter bags from Duda diesel...someone mentioned them in another thread. These work great, but it is pretty labor intensive. The 7"x31" bags fill up with one or two swaths across the pool. The really don't let much of anything back into the pool though.

I guess it comes down to 1) keep it up over the winter, 2) spend forever vacuuming, rinsing the filter, repeat or 3) vacuum to waste and worry about the water bill next month ;)

Do you have one of our recommended test kits ? If you do can you post some test results. SLAMMing isn't a one time dumping of bleach in the pool. It's a process of testing and maintaining the SLAM level for your CYA level until the three criteria are met. Have you met all three ?

Water is crystal clear
CC of 0.5 or less
You can pass the OCLT test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.