Filter Housing Repair

TexasTwister

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Feb 9, 2008
Richmond, Texas
Hi everyone. Can a cartridge filter housing be repaired? I have a customer with a Hayward C-4000 filter housing that has cracked on the bottom and is leaking a moderate amount of water. I believe the housing is made of fiberglass. Do they make repair kits that will withstand up to 50 psi? The customer would like to avoid replacing the housing if possible ($250+). I Googled and found a product called Syntho-Glass which looks pretty interesting: http://www.aquaairind.com/Index/Fiberglass/Fiberglass.htm.

Thanks.

Because of the pressure built up in the filter I would not recommend it. The repair will eventually give way and the filter will blow out. In a best case scene this would mean the pool would lose it's water. In a worse case someone could get hurt or killed.

The C-4000 is known for blowing out the bottom in time. Especially the black California Pool versions. You can buy a new bottom but it is not cost efficient as the top will soon crack. With the two, you are in way over the cost of a filter.

Thanks folks for the responses. So far, the customer has been unwilling to replace the housing. The leak has expanded to the point where the autofill can no longer keep up. Despite my written warnings, he continues to run the pump.

In that case you have done what you can. I would have the customer sign a wavier that you are not responsible for any damages caused by the customer ignoring your advice if you are maintaining the pool for them.

I wouldn't work around that cracked tank! It's just not safe. Hayward filter tanks are notorius (around here) for splitting and cracking. I had one recently that blew about a 12"x12" chunck out of the top and we found it about 50 ft away from the equip pad! It's still laying around the shop as a warning. The only real fix is going to be a new complete filter as a replacement housing would easily cost more than half of a new filter.

I prefer the Sta-Rite Sys3 cartridge filters personally but a Pentair C&C+ would be ok.

PoolOwnerNumber9 said:
I would tell the customer that the filter has to be replaced or you will no longer be able to work for them.
:goodjob:
Doesn't sound like what I would call a good customer anyways. Are you charging anymore for the wasted (leaked out) chems. I usaully have problems with customers who do not trust what I tell them and act accordingly. I would tell the guy that you need to fix the filter problem or kick rocks!

The customer ended up replacing the entire filter with another Hayward C-4000. He wanted a quick and easy replacement which he got since the plumbing did not need to be modified in any way. I had gotten to the point where I was ready to drop him as a client because algae was starting to form on the sides of the pool due to the large influx of fresh water and bingo! A new filter appeared by my next visit. Thanks for all the feedback folks!

I'm glad to hear he got a new one!

Thanks for updating! 8)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.