So I used PUCKS this winter

Jul 19, 2013
East Texas
When I turned my SWG off....I know I know!!! But I had a weird thing happen. I had some either metal or organic stains on the creases of steps and by using pucks this winter they all disappeared.... Could I be imagining that?? I know you use pucks to test stains, but could they also remove them?

I was putting the pucks in the baskets also!! I know....

Also, when should I start adding salt back to my pool? Is there a certain temp?? Time??

I would guess if you had any "stains"----they would have had to be organic in nature if the pucks truly "fixed" it. Maybe they just helped keep up your FC level? I think most folks kick the SWG back in with a water temp of 60. Most won't operate under that temp I believe.

That depends on what the pucks did to your CYA level. By that I mean, how much did they raise it. Test your CYA level and see where it's at. For your SWG you want your CYA level to be in the 70-80 ppm range.

If your water is 61 I think that's warm enough for your SWG to work. ?

So did I make a mistake turning my salt cell off and using pucks this winter?

Pool water was 61 yesterday.
That depends entirely on the test results. You might have too high CYA, or too low pH and TA, from using pucks. Testing is the only way to know.

Also note that you only need to add salt if you lost water due to splashout or overflow or backwashing. Again, the only way to know is to test the salt level.

:testkit:

As mentioned, SWG's don't produce chlorine when the water gets too cold, commonly below 60 degrees.

We recommend using liquid chlorine/bleach during the times that the SWG is not working/turned off as liquid chlorine/bleach does not have any harmful side effects.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.