booster pump leaks. Thinking to use Polaris 360 instead 280 if booster pump is dead

Jul 27, 2012
Austin, TX
IMG_20140221_084711.jpgIMG_20140221_084726.jpgHi all,

My PB pressure tested my pool plumbing as a whole and discovered a leak in the booster pump. See the attached photo. Water pools up in the opening where the stick is touching. Any idea on what the problem is?

A side note. If the booster pump is totally dead, I am thinking if I should switch from Polaris 280 to 360. I know 280 requires a booster pump while 360 does not. My plumbing configuration allows me to divert all the water to the cleaner if necessary. Here is the dilemma. I bought a brand new 280 almost 2 years ago and never used it. If I switch to 360, I will sell the 280 and buy a 360. BTW, my pool does not collect a lot of leaves. My consideration on the switch are based on the following:

1. simplify the system. Reduce the number of pumps. Less breakable component
2. quiet operation. Does booster pump run much louder than the pool pump?
3. operation cost. Is it cheaper to run a pool pump than a booster pump for cleaning?
4. cleaning power

BTW, I will be getting either a 2-speed or a VS pump.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Scott

Yeah, it sure sounds like a shaft seal which is a cheap fix up front but then you still end up with a robot that consumes quite a bit of electricity.

I would suggest a self-contained robot for around $1000 that would cut your electrical consumption by eliminating the booster and all the noise associated with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.