Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Problem with installing Aqua Genie

1. Back To Top    #1

Problem with installing Aqua Genie

Hi there,

We're in the middle our our pool build and the installer is now indicating that in his opinion installing aqua-genies, especially in salt system pools, are a bad idea because of the way they install in vinyl pools. He is indicating the the aqua-genie mounts with a gasket on either side of the steel wall but that this design lets the salt water attacked the small edge of steel still visible between the two gaskets and rot it.

In all the reading I've done I never ran across this concern.

The problem is our steel arrived and it was pre-cut for a regular skimmer and not an aqua-genie. I'm not sure if I'm getting the straight goods here because of the error on pre-cut skimmer hole.

Any help would be appreciated as I was really sold on the comments on this forum regarding the installation of aqua-genies.

Thanks!
    40 1/2 x 20 1/2 vinyl inground - 28,011 gals (~106,000 litres)
    All Jandy equipment
    Aquapure SWG; CL580 Cartridge Filter; 1-AquaGenie, 1-skimmer, 1-main drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Problem with installing Aqua Genie

Welcome to TFP!!

Why not just use some caulk to fully seal the area? 8) If the caulk keeps the salt water from getting to the recut steel, there wouldn't be a problem
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Problem with installing Aqua Genie

Thanks Waste.

That was my thought as well. I was just not comfortable I was getting the straight goods from the PB on this and was curious if anyone had actually experienced a problem.

Cheers.
    40 1/2 x 20 1/2 vinyl inground - 28,011 gals (~106,000 litres)
    All Jandy equipment
    Aquapure SWG; CL580 Cartridge Filter; 1-AquaGenie, 1-skimmer, 1-main drain