need help slecting pump size

ar12

Feb 20, 2014
texas
Hello,

I am building my own inground pool 16X32 with 3 stone scuppers 6 returns 2 skimmers 2 main drains , i am guessing about 13800 gal, right now i am on the coping and tile stage not shure what size of pool pump to buy, 1hp? 2hp? 1 speed? 2 Speed....please help thank you

Generally you want a smaller pump, either a two speed, or variable speed if your electric rates are especially high. If you have a spa you will want a specific size pump to match the spa design, but for a basic pool smaller is generally better, and two speed (or variable) will save you dramatic amounts on your electric bill.

i am also in the selecting pool pump stage. in 'my build thread' i mentioned that i may plan to add solar panels on a garage roof at a later date, and was advised a variable speed pump by BoDarville. reviews have led me to believe the Pentair and Hayward both make good/reliable variable speed pumps. my only hang-up is that they run on 230v, in fact i don't think they make a pump that runs on 115v. i plan to put all the pool equipment in my detached garage which will leave probably a 40-50feet one way run to the pool. i cant remember if we wired the garage sub panel for 220, so i'll have to look into this.

ok just looked into it i should be good.
jasonlion- i see you have a pentair, are you happy with it? from my research, it seems pentair and Hayward make a good /reliable pump. is that your experience? also do you have recommendation for my size pool? the current plan is in my signature.

thanks

Generally you want a smaller pump, either a two speed, or variable speed if your electric rates are especially high. If you have a spa you will want a specific size pump to match the spa design, but for a basic pool smaller is generally better, and two speed (or variable) will save you dramatic amounts on your electric bill.

thank's for your help jasonlion

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.