Anyone else anxious for 2014 pool openings?

ssgumby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 17, 2012
Maryland
WOW, what what a winter here in MD. I am seeing my safety cover for what feels like the first time since last Nov (exaggeration).

It was a brutal cold winter, I am hoping everything came out of it ok. My hope is late next month to crack it open and start the assessment.

Is anyone else getting antsy ready to start the season?:shaking2:

Northern VA here and I cannot wait to get started. I already have plans to clean my heater burner assembly and some tile work on the waterfall. This will be my second season with BBB and I cannot wait to get started.

I will be taking a look under the cover shortly to see how the water looks, hopefully still clear.

Northern VA here and I cannot wait to get started. I already have plans to clean my heater burner assembly and some tile work on the waterfall. This will be my second season with BBB and I cannot wait to get started.

I will be taking a look under the cover shortly to see how the water looks, hopefully still clear.

Last I looked was about a month ago, it was clear but frozen solid. No clue how far down it was frozen, but it felt very solid!

Yeah, but I'm a little worried too. We've already had several members reporting freeze damage. I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be a widespread problem when people start opening.

Yeah, but I'm a little worried too. We've already had several members reporting freeze damage. I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be a widespread problem when people start opening.

The one time I'm happy I have an AGP. Usually I want to open as early as possible, but most often its not warm enough to put the ladder in for a good month or so. I might as well wait until late April or even May to open this year (whenever it hits 60).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am not sure my pool will thaw in time for a swim season this year. It is pretty much a solid 18' diameter block of ice. I measured the ice temp about a week ago and it is still -7* f. It has to warm up 39* before it even starts to melt.

Drilled a 1/8" hole to insert a type K thermocouple wire down in about 10 inches. Hooked it to a digital thermometer from work. Should have taken pictures. Next year I might stick the thermocouple in before it freezes and then take readings once in a while. Got the idea from a co-worker who did it on his in-ground pool to measure how cold the water was at the bottom of his deep end one year during winter. He found that even though it had been below 0 for a couple days the water at the bottom of the deep end was still in the balmy 40's

Drilled a 1/8" hole to insert a type K thermocouple wire down in about 10 inches. Hooked it to a digital thermometer from work. Should have taken pictures. Next year I might stick the thermocouple in before it freezes and then take readings once in a while. Got the idea from a co-worker who did it on his in-ground pool to measure how cold the water was at the bottom of his deep end one year during winter. He found that even though it had been below 0 for a couple days the water at the bottom of the deep end was still in the balmy 40's

That is brilliant!

Been warm here for a few days, got home yesterday and the ice had melted. Scooped a few leaves out before dark, still have to get a few more, but I'm ready. Been looking at test kit chems to see what I need refilled.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.