Pentair UltraTemp Heat Pump to heat spa

Feb 14, 2014
Texas
I am in the process of getting my backyard oasis built (pool and spa) and need to make a decision on heat source. I live in Texas and only need the heat source to heat my 7x7 spa. I do not have natural gas so it is either propane tank or heat pump. My pool builder said it might take a full day to get the water temp of the spa up to 104 degrees. Is this true? Is it a no brainer to choose the highest btu rating heat pump? Also, my pool builder said a heat pump is a more cost efficient heat source vs. propane to heat my spa. However, after searching threads on this forum for heat pump I am now scared to go with it. I am also a bit skeptical of using the pump in the heat pump to drive my pool circulation (no heat) vs. having a separate pentair whisper flo. For my needs should I simply go with propane and deal with the pain of refilling it every year?

Thanks.

There is no pump to circulate water in a heat pump, it will require a pump whether it is a pump dedicated to the spa or a shared pool/spa system. A heat pump will work best to maintain a constant temperature. It will require several hours to heat the spa whereas a gas heater will do so in an hour or two depending on how much temperature rise you will need.

A gas heater is the way to go for heating a spa. Using gas you can have a spa generally heated in around 30 mins given the size of spa and heater.

Keep in mind that a heat pump works off of the ambient temperature outside. Yes they are great for maintaining water temp but in order to get a quick heat up time, gas is the way to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.