Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Light Help

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Light Help

Hi All!

My pool light will come on for a short period on time and then turn off. Throughout an evening it may do this several times. And then it gets to a point where it will not turn on at all. It had not turned on in such a long time, we were going to replace the bulb. However, my husband reset the breaker last night and voila - pool light. It was on for less than a minute. DH seems to think it has something to do with it getting too hot and needing to cool off. That seems plausible enough. we both agreed to ask you for help!

Any suggestions?

Branden
    16 X 34 21,000 IG Vinyl Liner
    1 1/2 Hayward SuperPump
    New Sand Filter (had cartridge - hated them)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Light Help

Something not good is going on here if the breaker keeps tripping. It shouldn't be overheating because they should be designed to stay on under normal operating conditions. If it intermittently comes on and goes off without tripping the breaker or it occasionally does trip the breaker then there must be a short in there somewhere or perhaps a loose connection. You should have it checked ASAP and keep it off until then.
    20,000 plaster in ground (finally blue!), Hayward C-1100 Cartridge Filter and Baracuda G4 Automatic Cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh I apologize for misleading you - The breaker was tripped for a deep fryer (or two)

We use the outlet a lot with no issues. To my recollection the pool light has never tripped the breaker.

Hopefully this weekend we will pull the bad boy out and see what is going on.
    1 1/2 Hayward SuperPump

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm curious - what kind of light is it ? Your description of the problem sounds like a ballast overheating and resetting, which means there is a short in the wiring, ballast, or bulb. I would call an electrician if you don't see an obvious problem when you pull it out. I would also disconnect it from the power supply while anyone is in or around the pool until you find out what's going on. Getting shocked puts me in a real bad mood.
    20x40 IG Vinyl
    33k Gallons
    Triton TR-100 Sand Filter
    Pentair WFDS-6

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks we will! I think I have a favor to call in from an electrician anyway...

----No not that kind of favor
    1 1/2 Hayward SuperPump

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd pull the light out and make sure that there is no water in the fixture!!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)