80% of water changed- LOW CYA

Enzman

Dec 30, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I changed out 80% of my water because of high CH and CYA. Now, there's no CYA in my pool. So, I went to the pool store to pick up some "stabilizer". I picked up a 1.5 pounder because I wanted to see how my pool was going to react to just that much. I think I will probably end up needing more, but then I remembered that the original owner of the house had some chlorine tablets leftover for me. Lo and behold, they're tri-chlor tablets which after doing some research I understand that it raises CYA. SOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo.... Would it be ok to use the 25 tablets that are leftover to slowly raise my CYA the rest of the way, or should I do it immediately with more stabilizer? Paying $11 for 1.5lbs of the dry stuff isn't on my sounds like much fun list at the moment.

It's fine to use the tabs to get to the CYA level you want. Just make sure to stop when you get to that level. You won't need all of them. Make sure you don't put them in the skimmer basket. Put them in a floater or chlorinator.

Pool math at the bottom, effects of adding chem's will tell you how much each tab will increase CYA. Just enter the weight of the tab.

And if you plan on going on vacation this summer, if your CYA is low enough you can put some in then. TFP is about knowing your pool and what it needs, not about only using a certain method to maintain it.

After 1.5lbs of dry stabilizer, and threw in 5 trichlor pucks, my cya has come up, but I can still just BARELY see the dot with the entire vial full (Taylor Test kit). Gonna keep an eye on it next week as I continue with the trichlor tabs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.