Using SHock to remove stains

Jun 26, 2008
My neighbors have a couple of oaks that drop baby acorns. They leave some nasty stains in my gunite pool.

In the past, I would use shock in small handfulls and "bleach" out the stain. My pool co has gone to a different type of shock (TurboShock) and it isnt as granulated as the old stuff. Meaning, it dissolves before it gets to the stain.

Does anyone know of anything else that would remove the stains or where might sell shock that is better for my purpose?

What's clearing those stains is chlorine. Fairly high levels of chlorine will work....the higher you keep them, the faster the stains will diminish.

Typically, "shock" is a verb.....something you do to your pool.....although the pool stores would like you to believe it is a product, it is not.

duraleigh said:
What's clearing those stains is chlorine. Fairly high levels of chlorine will work....the higher you keep them, the faster the stains will diminish.

Typically, "shock" is a verb.....something you do to your pool.....although the pool stores would like you to believe it is a product, it is not.

thanks. I dont want to keep my levels sky high w/ the chlorine. Also, let me ask you this, 3" tabs in the skimmer or in a chlorine floater? I have a DE filter.

buckrogers71 said:
duraleigh said:
Also, let me ask you this, 3" tabs in the skimmer or in a chlorine floater? I have a DE filter.

To do what?...remove the stains?.....It's still chlorine.

The product you were using "in small handfulls" was chlorine as well.

oops :oops: shoulda been more clear. No not for stains, just general chlorination of the pool.
Floater for the win. There have been discussions that putting the tabs directly in your skimmer can lead to plumbing problems.

Neither is the best answer. Both add stabilizer to your pool.....constantly.

Over-stabilization is perhaps the single most troublesome issue we deal with on the forum.

If you have a full set of current test results, (including CYA(stabilizer)) lots of folks here will help you make a good decision.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.