PSI and Cleaning Filter Cartridges

skylar18

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2013
Austin, Texas
I have two quick questions....

We installed our pool in July of this year and our filter is the Jandy 580 sf Cartridge filter.

After 8 months my PSI is still showing 0 when the pump is running and it bumps to 10 when the Polaris is on, which it has done from day one as well.

My questions are:

1. Should I worry that after all this time my PSI is still zero? I do keep the pool very clean, I have no trees over it but the dogs are always dragging dust in dirt into it.
2. I know I should clean my cartridges when the PSI gets to 25. Do I do it when it reaches 25 when just the pump is running, or do I use the reading when my Polaris is running?

Thanks!

Sorry no one has answered you yet.

Do you think or see that dirt is coming back into the pool? If not, I wouldn't worry yet.

Use the indication you get during normal running of the system, not by the indication when running the cleaner.

No dirt at all is coming back, and on a bad day I will get 6 -10 leaves that I fish out. Pb told me, I would probably have to clean the cartridges twice a year. I was just worried because psi has not budged off zero yet.

Water is still crystal clear, just wanted to throw it out there that everything seemed ok to "yall" At this rate I will only have to clean it every couple of years!

What RPM is the pump running when you see zero psi? You need to check it at a relatively high speed. And then recommend cleaning when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure ... Not 25psi.

Run your pump at full speed (3600/3500 rpm) and check the pressure.

Full power it jumps to 12 psi

- - - Updated - - -

Sure thing! Let us know how it turns out. :goodjob:

Can't wait to see how your build comes out! I don't know why you said most people don't like the colors you guys picked out, that is why you weren't worried about anyone stealing your stuff....I love everything you guys picked our so far!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, thank you very much Skylar! I vaguely remember saying something like that. About the rocks I think. :scratch: :mrgreen:

Based on that then, it would be about 20%, so you could give them a wash down and be ready for all summer maybe. What else you got to do on Saturday?

:lol: :lol:

Reading this whole thread, I think your system is fine. You have an over sized filter which results in very low psi but that's fine......even better than fine.

Next you seem to have a pretty darn clean environment around your pool so that big filter has even less work to do.

I believe I would open up the filter this Spring just for a general inspection and cleaning but it sounds like you won't have to clean very much. Mas985 (longtime member) has a circumstance similar to yours and I think he cleans his filter annually.

You could always exchange your current filter gauge for a liquid filled one. They have better resolution and would likely show a small psi at your 1750 setting. It's a cheap upgrade.....I reall like mine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.