Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shocking frequency

1. Back To Top    #1

Shocking frequency

This may seem like a fairly simple question, but I couldn't find an answer on any of the forums. I'm using my SWG and holding the FC around 4 without any real trouble. My CC has been less than 0.5 and typically measures 0. My pool is clear with no algae at all, and has been that way for at least six weeks. How often (if at all) do I need to shock the pool, and if I do, what FC do I raise to? I understand that I'll use bleach to raise the FC, and not use the "super chlorinate" feature on the SWG as that has been recommended in other forums. My other numbers are as follows:

FC = 4
    CC = .5
    TA = 110
    pH = 7.5 (I'm also in the process of lowering TA through repeated use of muriatic acid, but as of this morning, the pH was back up to 7.5 from 7.2 last night)
    CYA = 80
    Salt = 3200

Thanks!
    15,000 gallon in-ground, vinyl; PacFab Nautilus INS48 D.E. filter, Goldline Aqua Rite XL SWG, Heat Siphon SX5.0

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shocking frequency

You don't. There is no need to shock a pool if it does not have any problems. Enjoy you lesiure!
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

3. Back To Top    #3

That was easy, and the answer I was hoping for. Thanks!
    15,000 gallon in-ground, vinyl; PacFab Nautilus INS48 D.E. filter, Goldline Aqua Rite XL SWG, Heat Siphon SX5.0

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, as dschlic1 said, no need to shock if you do not have problems.

But, to find your shock level see the "Chlorine/Cya Chart". There is also an article on "Shocking your Pool".

These can be found in Pool School, located at top of page in sub-header. Also link in my sig.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm not sure how I missed that article (shocking your pool). That had all the info I needed. Sorry 'bout that. It didn't come up on the search that I did last night!

6. Back To Top    #6

No problem, Steve. There is a lot of information on TFP!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Most people with properly running SWGS never need to shock once their water parameters in in line.