Still having Trouble keeping FC in pool

hseeng

Jun 27, 2008
HELP going on vacation!

I’ve read quite a bit but still some odd things are happening.

Details
Test Kit - Taylor K1004 DPD (not FAS)
Location Toronto, Canada, Water temp 70-80
SWG – Triopure 25 (with Ozone as part of unit)
Pool timer - Running 12 hours a day or more. (Triopure runs continually on its own pump) Was 8pm to 8am now I set it to 4 am to 4 pm. However I manfully turn the pump on all the time to run the barracuda when I need it.
Sand filter
Only using liquid chlorine, to shock
Pool is in full sun when sunny.

Water specs (My own tests and 2 different pool stores)
Between my own tests and two different pool stores every number is different. I will provide the average. off. Sucks

FC – Keeps dropping all the time Depending on time after shock obviously
CC – Drops then goes back to .5- 1.0 ish in day or two
CYA – 35-40 One pool store says its 65
TA – 80-100 but again one pool store says it 65
PH – 7.4-7.5
Phosphates – 1000 (was 3000-4000)

Salt – 3600 (one store says its 4270)
Hardness - 150
Copper - .06
Iron - 0
Water clarity is clear no haziness

Pool status. I missed some stuff but below is the general idea of events
April-May
Open the pool in April installed Triopure, Used safety cover over winter. Pool was hazy due to super high dust particles that settled on bottom when opened. Did the typical pool opening stuff. 1L 60% poly. 1KG shock power, stain n scale. I then added 10L and then another 20l Liquid to clear up pool. Never Green. Did not turn on SWG until water temp hit 60 ish (May). Used liquid 12% up until unit was running. I had a black bird issue where they kept crap’ing in the pool for 2-3 weeks straight (200 turds per day I had to vacuum out then backwash ever 2-3 days) Pool was always clear and had 1-2 ppm FC during that time. Water temp was cold 60’s. I had what looked like a small Algae patch growing on the side of the pool under the diving board. < 1 sqft in size. Shocked pool many times during startup and after.
June
June 2nd Pool store says I have 3000-4000ppb Phosphates. Water looked good but added 1 jug Phos free.1 jug in sand filter to lower phosphates. Back washed that after few days
. Brushed pool once a week. No visible agile. Heated pool to 80 on June 15th for pool party. Pool looked hazy after party. 0.5 CC Shocked it with 9L of Chorine.
Sun - June 22 (Sunday) Heated pool again to 80ish (pool party). 1.0 CC Shocked it with 13L in evning
Mon – 0FC in Morning. Had Phosphates tested again later that day, still 2000-2500. Bought a pale of PhosFloc. Did the procedure. Let it settle for 18 hours.
Tues – 0 FC, Vacuum Residue to waste. CC said it was 1. Shocked pool again 9-10L. All the Clorine I had left. Power Floc’ing threw my balance off. TA 60. PH 7.0-72. Wed added 2KG Baking soda. Added 4000L of fresh water
Wed – 3.5 – 4.5 FC in morning. CC.5 still. In the evening I started reading this web site in more detail again.
Thur- .05 FC. CC .5- 0.75. TA 100 with out CYA correction Added 1.5 KG baking soda to bring up TA and PH a bit. Backwashed for long time to remove power flocing Crud. Added 1500L fresh water. Added 1L liquid to bring up FC a bit to help SWG keep up. SWG running at 8-9 out of 10 setting. Added can of 900ml of CYA to skimmer. This should add about 11ppm or so to total CYA. I know it should be 60-80. Added puck to skimmer basket. Big storm today it added ¼ - ½ inches of rain water to pool. Was Sunny yesterday.

Today Friday...
FC 0.2 ish hard to tell with standard DPD kit
TC 0.8-1
CC 0.5 ish
PH 7.1
TA – 115-120
Water temp 71
Clear water but lots of dust on bottom of pool this moring

You see I’m going away for a week starting Saturday morning. Trying to get pool settled fast. Yes I’m doing too many things to the water this week, I’m going to add pucks to simmer as a precaution.

So should I hit to pool with another 20L (super shock) before I go?
Should I run the pool 24 a day?
Why is PH still down? I had it back up but over nite it dropped again
Any advice?

I went to buy a FAS DPD kit but they want $88 CDN for the single test to do real shocking type stuff. How can I do 20ppm shock and hold it there with a standard DPD test?
Is there anyway I can get TF-100 test kit in Canada? Edited to show correct test kit name. JasonLion

Pucks will lower PH.

No, no way to get a test kit from TF Test Kits in Canada. Some people get it in the US and bring it across the border themselves.

It sounds like there is something wrong with the Triopure, though it is difficult to tell with so much going on.

IMHO.... and I know I will get flamed on it but...... Turn off the SWG. Put in 10 gal of the 12% chlorine and let your pump run till tonight. Tonight, shut off your pump and cover your pool with your cover. (solar cover)

When you come back from vacation, start the pump and the next morning, take a set of reading and log onto TFP, post them and start anew.

The Triopure is putting out clorine. I read 1ppm off the jets. I did a muratic cleaning of the plates even though its only been running on the SWG for 8 weeks.

Triopure docs says I only need .5 to 1 ppm FC because of the ozone system.
Starting to think I got hosed on this system for $1700

10 Gallons of shock!! I hate the liner pattern (12 years old the liner) but I don't want to remove the pattern so soon :roll:

I still stand by what I posted.

hseeng said:

FC – Keeps dropping all the time Depending on time after shock obviously
CC – Drops then goes back to .5- 1.0 ish in day or two

FC 0.2 ish hard to tell with standard DPD kit
TC 0.8-1

I had a black bird issue where they kept crap’ing in the pool for 2-3 weeks straight (200 turds per day I had to vacuum out then backwash ever 2-3 days)

You see I’m going away for a week starting Saturday morning

So should I hit to pool with another 20L (super shock) before I go?
Should I run the pool 24 a day?
Why is PH still down? I had it back up but over nite it dropped again
Any advice?

My advice is to hit it hard with chlorine,(5 gal chlorine to every 10,000 of pool water) turn off all power to the pool, cover the pool and start new when he/she comes back from vacation. I still stand by that.

No, no way to get a test kit from TF Test Kits in Canada.
Why not Canada? You mad at us?
The Offical importer for "all" Taylor kits in Canada is Lowey Asso... They have their office and warehouse accoss the street from my house! Lucky me in some ways Thats were I got my DPD kit. I have 6 pool stores here in my town "Newmarket" only 1 store knows what the DPD term meant. None of them sell a DPD kit. They are all a real joke. 3 stores didn't even know what break-point was....soooo sad. I went surfing online for one then found out who the Canadian distrubuter was. It was access the street. Well for a 2006 kit was $200.

Even though the dollar is @ par now since last Sept we still get ripped off.

Anyone know of a pool store that ships to Canada fromt he US?

IMHO.... and I know I will get flamed on it but......

Hotrod,

I am a hugh believer in large doses of chlorine for many situations but your dosage is too high to protect the liner.

If there has been a post of CYA level, I can't find it. That's asking for trouble to put that much Cl in a pool with no knowledge of the CYA level.

It's not clear to me why you think that is an acceptable level fo chlorine?

duraleigh said:
IMHO.... and I know I will get flamed on it but......

Hotrod,

I am a hugh believer in large doses of chlorine for many situations but your dosage is too high to protect the liner.

If there has been a post of CYA level, I can't find it. That's asking for trouble to put that much Cl in a pool with no knowledge of the CYA level.

It's not clear to me why you think that is an acceptable level fo chlorine?

In hseeng's first post, half way down. CYA – 35-40 One pool store says its 65

Maybe 65 PPM was alittle high, but I would go to 50PPM, chlorine

Reasons .... hseeng is leaving for a week vacation. hseeng keeps shocking since April. By the looks of it. CC is always higher than the FC after a day or so. The bird poop. Sounds like no one is going to be watching or using the pool while he/she is gone; that's for my opinion of turning off the power to the pool.

In my opinion, going away for a week is the perfect time to hit the pool hard with chlorine to get rid of what is in the pool that hseeng hasn't been able to get rid of since April.

Like I said...just my opinion. hseeng is not going to get the pool balanced by tonight and won't be there for a week. So I think hseeng should hit the pool hard with chlorine and start fresh after vacation.

Also... a question to hseeng...... You said there is a dust layer on the bottom of your pool. Is it just from the air or do you know of a reason for it? (factory, dirt road nearby, etc) Is it dust?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hseeng said:
No said:
Why not Canada? You mad at us?
The Offical importer for "all" Taylor kits in Canada is Lowey Asso... They have their office and warehouse accoss the street from my house! Lucky me in some ways Thats were I got my DPD kit. I have 6 pool stores here in my town "Newmarket" only 1 store knows what the DPD term meant. None of them sell a DPD kit. They are all a real joke. 3 stores didn't even know what break-point was....soooo sad. I went surfing online for one then found out who the Canadian distrubuter was. It was access the street. Well for a 2006 kit was $200.

Even though the dollar is @ par now since last Sept we still get ripped off.

Anyone know of a pool store that ships to Canada fromt he US?

Geez! $200 for a test kit that sells for about $70 (or sometimes even less) in the states! What a rip off!

Well this is what I'm going to do and did

Added anther 900ml of CYA to skimmer today. I expect it would give me a reading of 55 total if tested

Numbers @ 8PM
FC 0.1 (if that)
TC 0.5
PH 7 - 7.2 (really odd color to judge even with 7 drops)
TA 110

Went swimming today in it. Nice and clear, real clear, water is sparkling with rainbows from the waves. I inspected every nook and cranny looking for algae on the steps screw etc... all looks good except right around the jets. It looks like there is a gasket between the plastic jet and the vinyl liner. On the edges of the gasket (1/32) is a tiny bit of dark green algae that I can scratch off with a finger nail. Very, very small amount.

I had algae issue with this pool last year. I never owned a pool before and it was part of the house when we bought it in Aug. I kept it running for 2 months. Last year the pool never went cloudy or green ever. Used only pucks the previous owner left in the skimmer. If i recall, I had trouble keeping FC in the pool then too. I did have small amounts of algae growing on the vinyl seams at times, under the ladder, on the edges of screws around the steps. Then I had this clear to very light pink slim or skin growing on some of the side walls. When I saw that I shocked it with 8 - 10L. I knew nothing about break point CL until Sept when I found this site to try and figure out what to do to close a pool.

So...for now i"m
Going to add 20L tonite.
Leave the Triopure running on setting 9
Set the timer for 6am to 6pm
Leaving puck in skimmer
Going to ask my niece to put in another puck in skimmer on Wed. I will ask her if the pool looks off (not clear) then to dump in another 10L carboy in Wed too.

I need a FAS kit and try what others are doing here by shocking to 20ppm for 3 or more days until the demand stops.
Can I use a standard DPD kit to do this by diluting the sample in half with distilled water?

Thanks all.

Hotrod30 said:
Put in 10 gal of the 12% chlorine

Hotrod30, That is a really bad idea with a vinyl liner. That approach could work with plaster, but that much chlorine will very likely damage a vinyl liner.

hseeng, Yes you can use dilution with a DPD test kit. The results will be noticeably less precise but normally good enough to get by. Be sure to dilute with water that doesn't contain any chlorine, for example distilled water.

Well very good news. Came back from Vacation and Pool is still crystal clear.
We even had a huge rain storm and very high winds the day I got back 8 days later and the pool is still keeping CL levels very stable all this week.

Just tested the water
FC = 2 (the last 4 days)
CC = < .3 Cannot tell the difference in colour change with standard DPD test
PH = 7.5 Just went up from 7.2 in the last 3 days. (Rain water?)
TA = 115
CYA = should be 55

TrioPure (SWG) was running at 9 (out of 10) ever since I left. 3 pucks where used while I was gone and I stopped using them now.

I noticed the very small amounts of algae growth around the jets and stair trim all turned brown or olive green. I used to tooth brush to clean it all away.

Thanks TFP for the tips.
:-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.