Air getting into system?

Dec 16, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Since I started getting familiar with the new pool I am noticing that air seems to be getting into the system when the pump is off.

Normally whenever the pump turns on, the jets in the pool push staight water and there are no air bubbles. Whenever I clean the pump filter baskets, or clean the main cartridge filter, air of course gets in and when I turn the pump back on the jets in the pool will push air/water for about 20 seconds until all of the air is pushed out.

Now I am noticing that when the pump turns off I can hear air bubbles somewhere in the system creeping in (similar to the sound when I break the seal of the pump filter basket cover to clean them). Now when the pump turns on it seems to ALWAYS be pushing air for the first 20 seconds even when I don't touch anything.

Anything obvious that could be causing this? I can't really think of anything I've done differently, though I recently cleaned my main cartridge filter, SLAMed the pool, and took the pucks out of the chlorinator. All my test results are spot on and have been maintaining good FC levels since the SLAM.

Thoughts? Should I be worrying about the pool equipment with constant air being pushed in/out?

What you are describing should not happen. I would recheck that the filter is well sealed (including the gauge) and not allowing air in anywhere when the pump turns off.

Not necessarily ... Hypothetically, imagine that the pressure inside the filter is pushing on something like an o-ring and creating a water tight seal, but when the pressure is released, the seal is lost and thus air can get in. For that matter, theoretically you could have a giant hole in your filter and some rubber sheet inside the filter. When pressurized, the rubber is pushed into/over the hole and no water can get out. Then the pump turns off, there is nothing holding the rubber in the hole and weight of the water in the filter can suck air in the hole ... this is just like how a check valve works.

I'd look for grit or something on the O-ring. And make sure it has plenty of lube on it.

Will do, any specific type of lube appropriate or just a standard silicone grease okay?

Not necessarily ... Hypothetically, imagine that the pressure inside the filter is pushing on something like an o-ring and creating a water tight seal, but when the pressure is released, the seal is lost and thus air can get in. For that matter, theoretically you could have a giant hole in your filter and some rubber sheet inside the filter. When pressurized, the rubber is pushed into/over the hole and no water can get out. Then the pump turns off, there is nothing holding the rubber in the hole and weight of the water in the filter can suck air in the hole ... this is just like how a check valve works.

Makes sense. I am also going to check the "drain faucet" that I recently use to drain the water from the pool. It is a standard type of screw open/close faucet running off the pump line to drain water. I never used it until last week when we had a lot of rain.

Thanks for all of the input. Did some testing last night and figured out it was the primary pump's lid gasket (as Richard predicted). You had to get close and listen carefully, but I could hear the air slowly seeping in. I swapped the o-ring from the waterfall pump (it is an identical pump) and that did the trick. I'm going to grab a couple of fresh o-rings for both pumps and lube them up. The current ones look okay, but are starting to deteriorate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lube is just a bandaid for bad orings the are flat or have cracks in them (Aladdin Magic Lube is good). New orings don't need lube; it may be used to hold it in place so doesn't fall out when trying to put things back together. GE Silicone II 2.8-oz. Kitchen and Bath Clear Caulk (from any hardware store) is good for the seal inside the pump.

Sorry Maverick, but lube is not just a bandaid. Brand new straight out of the package o-rings should always be lubed when installed. Saying that lube is a bandaid is completely wrong.

In almost every industry in the world, you would lose your job if you were caught installing any o-ring without lube. That should tell you that it's not just a bandaid.

I will mention that the official Sta-Rite manual specifically states that the OEM o-rings included with the pump should not be lubed because they have some sort of internal lubricant... see below. I'm also replacing the rings simply because it is cheap insurance, but it seems strange for a manufacturer to recommend not using lube and first I've ever heard of an "internally" lubricated o-ring that doesn't need lube. Oh well, I'm getting new rings that will get lubed and we'll call it good.

Do not lubricate the trap cover O-Ring. The original equipment O-Ring contains
a permanent internal lubricant.
NOTICE: If you replace the O-Ring with a non-internally lubricated O-Ring,
you may need to apply a silicone based lubricant.

Lube is just a bandaid for bad orings the are flat or have cracks in them (Aladdin Magic Lube is good). New orings don't need lube; it may be used to hold it in place so doesn't fall out when trying to put things back together. GE Silicone II 2.8-oz. Kitchen and Bath Clear Caulk (from any hardware store) is good for the seal inside the pump.

No, lube is required to keep O-rings from distorting or being damaged when being compressed and allows them to seat properly. All standard O-rings, especially new ones need to be lubricated. Parker, the biggest name in seals says the same thing: http://www.anchorrubber.com/specialty/parker_o-lube.pdf

I find that most O-rings do better when properly lubricated. There are multiple benefits, such as:

1) For O-rings that go between moving parts, such as the Polaris wall connection or a chlorinator lid, lubrication allows the parts to move smoothly and easily over the O-ring. Without lubrication, the parts can be very difficult, or even impossible, to install or remove. Without lubrication, the O-ring can be deformed, abraded, stretched, ripped or otherwise damaged.

2) Proper lubrication protects the O-ring from drying out, oxidation or chemical attack.

3) For O-rings without moving parts, lubrication helps prevent the parts from sticking to the O-Ring.

4) Lubrication makes a better seal.

The topic here is about his pump and filter orings. He followed up with the manufacture not recommending additional lube since they after factory lubricated. After a few years they can become flat and or get cracks in them. You can lube those up as a temporary solution until you get new ones. I am not referring to other industries instructions just what the swimming pool manufactures recommends. Some even state that using extra lube may breakdown the oring faster. I find I have success following those recommendations.

There is little doubt in my mind that 0-ring lubrication is a VERY good idea and should not be overlooked. The caveat might be if the manufacturer states no lubrication is necessary, but even then there is certainly no harm.

So, rather than get down in the weeds about fine details and exceptions (and there are some) I think we can all take away that lubrication on 0-rings is a positive thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.