LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2008
Argyle, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Okay, so I haven't been on TFP much lately. First, I went on vacation (no internet). Then I went back to work and put in twelve hour days to catch back up on what was left for me while I was on vacation. Then, I had surgery done on my nose and sinuses. Very bad allergies necessitated this elective surgical intervention. I'm 3 days post-op and I look and feel like I have been initiated into an L.A. street gang by beating. Has anyone else had this done before? Even my two year old daughter says to me constantly, "Daddy sick...Daddy has a dirty nose!" She brings me her blanket and Abby (her dollie) for comfort.

Blessed Lortab,
Craig

Wow! Twice? That's incredible thinking that he went through that twice. I just wish I could blow my nose but I have been instructed to NOT do this for obvious reasons.

257WbyMag said:
Okay, so I haven't been on TFP much lately. First, I went on vacation (no internet). Then I went back to work and put in twelve hour days to catch back up on what was left for me while I was on vacation. Then, I had surgery done on my nose and sinuses. Very bad allergies necessitated this elective surgical intervention. I'm 3 days post-op and I look and feel like I have been initiated into an L.A. street gang by beating. Has anyone else had this done before? Even my two year old daughter says to me constantly, "Daddy sick...Daddy has a dirty nose!" She brings me her blanket and Abby (her dollie) for comfort.

Blessed Lortab,
Craig

First, let me wish you a speedy recovery! Ouch :shock: Here's my story, as one who elected not to do surgery. I had been getting recurring sinus infections for years. I've had allergies the last 15 years or so, but only in the last couple years have they gotten so bad I began immunotherapy shots. I also have a deviated septum which the Dr. said was one of the worst he'd seen. He told me surgery would help, but I'd always have problems living in the desert w/ my allergies. I was going to do the surgery (he was also throwing in a bonus ' slight nose job' which I thought I'd always wanted!) Insurance problems put a delay on it, during which time I found a book called "Sinus Survival".

It pointed me to a miracle product called the 'Grossan Nasal Irrigator'. I would advise anyone with sinus problems to invest in one. They can be found online for around $100 and you buy the hypertonic saline packets at your local pharmacy. I've been using it for 3 years and have not had another infection. It's like a water-pik for your nose. My kids use it as well. The squeeze bottle irrigators are fine if you have a normal septum, but they don't work for me.

The Dr. looked at me funny when I said I wasn't going to do the surgery, but the way I saw it was that I was born with a deviated septum, and for most of my life it never caused me any problems. Recently, my allergist told me it would eventually go back to the way it was anyway. The allergy shots have helped alot but I know as long as I live in the desert, I'll never be 'normal'.

Hope this info helps someone, and again, best of luck and feel better soon! Start irrigating :goodjob:

Hey Vegasmom this stuff sounds an awful lot like Simply Saline. It is used the same way and you can use it as many times as you like in a day. And it's only about $5 at the grocery store! I never had sinus problems until I lived in Phoenix for a year. As soon as I came home they started. This stuff helps tremendously. It keeps me from getting colds after flying and helps with the dry sinus' in the winter time.

Craig...I guess you're probably thinking...thanks for telling me now!! :lol: Maybe something for you to try before they tell you that you will need a second surgery! Everyone I know as well has had to have 2....it's a conspiracy! :wink:

Oh yes, I have already been down the nasal irrigation route. Neti-pots etc. At the first hint of irritation, the saline wouldn't even make it out the other side. That's how jacked up my sinuses were. I really wanted to do allergy immunotherapy, but I was ineligible to do it because I take beta blockers. I'm a mess.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. That's why I like this forum. Everyone is so nice and supportive.

Craig

midtngal said:
Hey Vegasmom this stuff sounds an awful lot like Simply Saline. It is used the same way and you can use it as many times as you like in a day. And it's only about $5 at the grocery store! I never had sinus problems until I lived in Phoenix for a year. As soon as I came home they started. This stuff helps tremendously. It keeps me from getting colds after flying and helps with the dry sinus' in the winter time.

Yeah, I tried it that way but my passages are so narrow I need the electric one because it has more force. I had always heard dry climates were better for allergy sufferers, but what they fail to mention is a lot of people get exposure allergies. When we leave town, my sinuses clear up alot. The pollen, dust and wind here are so bad, my mom who has COPD wound up in the ER when she came for a visit this spring.

257WbyMag said:
Oh yes, I have already been down the nasal irrigation route. Neti-pots etc. At the first hint of irritation, the saline wouldn't even make it out the other side. That's how jacked up my sinuses were. I really wanted to do allergy immunotherapy, but I was ineligible to do it because I take beta blockers. I'm a mess.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. That's why I like this forum. Everyone is so nice and supportive.

Craig

It sounds like you needed the surgery. I hope it really helps you and you don't have to go through it again! My step-mom had it done and says it was the best thing she ever did. She doesn't have any more problems, but she doesn't have allergies, either.

Yep, I was pretty sure that surgery was all that was left for me to try. The goal is to have the surgery which will hopefully get me to a point where medicines will work for me. Will see how it goes. I miss being outside and in the pool with the family. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.