Adding Solar Panels????

Jul 29, 2010
I want to add 3 more 4 X 12 panels to the other side of my roof. My house faces North / South. The existing 3- 4 X 12 panels are on the east side of the roof with the header running parallel with the peak. How would I run the water flow if I add panels to the other side of the roof? Should I turn the panels and run them left to right rather than up and down? That seams to me to be the easiest way to run the water evenly threw the system. Also I have a tile roof if that makes a difference. I could use all the help I can get. Thanks

If the new panels will be facing north, I would not bother placing them on the roof as they will not add enough heat to the water. Pictures of your house will be the best option for us to see what you are working with.

The peak runs north and south so the new panels will be on the west side of the roof. The three 4 X 12 panels on the east side run with the header parallel with the peak. Is it better to run the headers with the roof peak line or 90º to it?

You want the headers more or less parallel to the peak, though there should be a slight tilt.

The best approach is to run the second bank with separate feed and return lines, or at least lines that diverge from the existing lines below roof level. You will also need a valve to balance the two banks, since the number of panels and presumably the pipe length will not match the first bank.

Most panels are designed to be run up and down the roof with the headers following the ridge. If you do this, you will likely need to replumb the existing set.

I would think you would want to run the solar supply pipe up to the ridge and then split it down to the bottom of each panel back to flow up the panels and then reconnect the 2 banks at the ridge before going down the roof and back to the pool.

You want the headers more or less parallel to the peak, though there should be a slight tilt.

The best approach is to run the second bank with separate feed and return lines, or at least lines that diverge from the existing lines below roof level. You will also need a valve to balance the two banks, since the number of panels and presumably the pipe length will not match the first bank.

Thanks Jason, That is what I was wondering. The banks will be the same size but the new set is closer to the supply line. So I was wondering if I should come off the top of the existing to the bottom of the new set or branch off the supply line to feed the new set. The whole up and over set up was bothering me. It just didn't seem right.

Can anyone tell me what brand of panels these are? I would like to buy a few more to go with them. Header is about 1-1/2" inside..

- - - Updated - - -

One more photo..

Attachments

• IMG_0861 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0861 (Small).JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0862 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0862 (Small).JPG
    74 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0863 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0863 (Small).JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 78
No idea (but, not Heliocol). But if they are going to be in separate banks (not directly connected to each other), I would not think that matching the brand would matter very much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have room for 1 more 4 X 12 beside this one so I would like to try to find another one like it. It is about 139" center 2 center and the connector hose is about a 2" . So if I can find another one like this or one that is compatible then I could add yet another. They kinda look like an Aquatherm / Sun-Swim panel. But I cant find a real good picture on line. Is anybody familiar with them to tell if that is what this is?

These are SwimMaster panels. Does anybody on here know where I can buy some. The local dealer here must be out of business or something I can not get them to return my calls or reply to web inquires. Any info would be great. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.