Pump losing prime when I turn multiport valves from pool to spa

Feb 17, 2014
Texas
First off I have lurked here for a few years since we closed on our home. I've figured problems out just by reading here. First of all I get quite a bit of air from the closest jet to the equipment, I replaced the pump filter gasket and that helped a bit. I noticed leaking on the multiport valve right in front of the pump, coming from the top where the handle attaches. Could this cause all the air I'm getting? When I switch both multiport valves over to spa as if I'm going to use the spa the water in the pump housing goes all the way down, loses prime completely. I'm thinking the valves aren't working properly, need a rebuild? Or is it a bigger problem?

Thanks so much in advance.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What you are referring to is what we call a 3-way valve. A mutil-port valve is generally what is attached to sand or DE filters for backwashing, etc.

It sounds like the seals in you 3-way have gone bad allowing air to get sucked in. You can buy kits to rebuild them. I would pull it apart and see if anything is obvious ... sounds like it would have to be a big air leak to drain the pump down when switched to spa mode.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.