Bleach sources in Dallas

pharpe

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
Just wondering if anyone has a good inexpensive bleach source in Dallas. I have only checked Fiesta so far. They have their Fiesta Concentrated 8.25% 121 fl oz bottle for $2.99. Not sure if that's good or not. Going to check Sams and Walmart next weekend.

I found a chemical company Harcros Chemicals in an old thread about this and contacted them
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/39613-Bulk-Bleach

They told me they could not work with a home address. Maybe if someone has a small business we could setup a group buy through them? Here is my email string:

Tom,

We can't work with a home address.

We will not be able to help any further.

Phone: (214) 638-8034
Mobile: (214) 213-7559
Fax: (214) 634-9728
www.harcros.com

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Tom Brouillard <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Hank,

Thanks for the quick reply. I represent a group of private pool owners in the DFW area that are interested in finding a reliable local liquid chlorine source. It is difficult to find 12.5% or even 10% concentrations consistently and when you do it often has degraded from sitting outside or on the shelf for long periods of time. If you have volume minimums we could possibly organize a group purchase on a reoccurring basis.

Thanks,
Tom Brouillard

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 2:35 PM, Hank Warden <[email protected]> wrote:

What is the name, address and phone of your company?
Phone: (214) 638-8034
Mobile: (214) 213-7559
Fax: (214) 634-9728
www.harcros.com

To: [email protected],
Date: 02/18/2014 02:30 PM
Subject: SODIUM HYPOCHLORITE 12.5%

Hello, I am interested in purchasing bulk Sodium Hypochlorite for swimming pool sanitation. I wanted to know if you had a minimum volume requirement and what your pricing is for 10% and 12.5% concentrations.

Thank you,
Tom Brouillard

This won't be the long term solution you are looking for, BUT for immediate needs and interim solutions I can reliably get 10% at my neighborhood Lowe's and one across town near one of my kid's schools. They always seem to have 8-10 jugs at least on hand and the price is OK.....and you can get 5% off if you use their store card at the register.

A guy from Harcros Chemicals actually called me back today with some interesting information.

Since they are a chemical company they are heavy watched by many government agencies including homeland security, epa, and local and state agencies. This means they have to be really strict about who the sell to and transportation.

The first obstacle is they cannot deliver to a residential address. So I asked about local pickup. Since the smallest quantity they sell is 55 gallon drums, I would have to have a DOTD approved vehicle for HAZMAT transport (my 2001 Montero does not fit the bill) and a special license. He suggested trying to find someone with a store front with loading doc and he could deliver there. That's more than I want to deal with so that option is out.

I asked if he could refer me to any customers they supply that might resell to me. This is where it got interesting. Apparently the city of Dallas and surrounding areas have a big issue with large quantities of concentrated bleach. Everyone that he knows of that has attempted to store bulk bleach in the Dallas area has been shut down. The closet place he could refer me to is a company called Tempura Pools in Lewisville. That's way too far to be of any use to me but I am getting their contact info in case someone that lives out that way could use it.

Hope this helps shed some light on why it's so had to get bulk 12.5% bleach in Dallas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just wondering if anyone has a good inexpensive bleach source in Dallas. I have only checked Fiesta so far. They have their Fiesta Concentrated 8.25% 121 fl oz bottle for $2.99. Not sure if that's good or not. Going to check Sams and Walmart next weekend.
That's the same price I regularly pay for bleach at Walmart in Austin. Great Value 8.25% 121 fl oz at $2.98. Once, back in August, it was $1.64.

Lowe's and Home Depot have 10%. The price, when accounting for concentration, is a tiny bit higher than Walmart. I couldn't find a decent store brand at HEB, which surprised me.

Wish I had. The best deal I found was Aldi. They had 96 oz 6% for $1.29. They recently stopped selling the 96 and only carry a 46 and the price isnt as good. Target, Fiesta and Sam's all have 121 oz 8.25% for 2.99.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.