Cleaning out pool after storm

techman65

Dec 12, 2013
Augusta, GA
Hello,

My area was hit by a significant ice storm last week. We had lots of tree limbs fall in the yard and the bottom of the pool is pretty much covered with pine needles. It's way too much for the Polaris to pick up and I'm wondering about the best way to get it cleaned up.

Thanks for any tips.

I have a lot of trees in my yard and have to deal with lot debris after every storm. I have a weighted vacuum head that I attach to my pool pole and a hose, one end attached to the top of the vacuum and the other end attaches to one of the skimmers. I use this to vacuum the pool just like you would a normal floor but much slower. I also have my filter valve set to waste if the rain added enough water. Since I have to do this a lot I also added an inline leaf canister which helps greatly, however if this is a rare thing for you it may not be worth the investment.

Here is a link to the weighted vacuum head and one for the leaf canister.

http://www.amazon.com/8165-Weighted...d=1392657757&sr=8-4&keywords=pool+vacuum+head

http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-R2110...1392657800&sr=8-4&keywords=pool+leaf+canister

Leaf Rake and Pole. And Motrin. This is a leaf rake:
Casey-LeafRake.jpg

I'd go for the manual removal rather using a leaf rake rather than any other way- those needles seem perfect to clog up vacuum lines or equipment, IMO.
Otherwise- DANG but that was a heckofa storm, wasn't it?! My power was out for over two days. And days later its 80 degrees!! Gotta love Augusta winters.
Had an 80 foot hardwood fall in my backyard and thankfully miss the pool entirely but did take out three sides of the yards fence line. The electric cover keeps most of the schmutz out but I'm sure there are pine needles that snuck under the one unsecured end because the entire pool deck is littered with pine and other tree branches. A wonderful group of volunteers from Samaritan's Purse came and cut and stacked the tree up for firewood. Our insurance company has agreed to pay for the fence and the pool furniture damaged.

Sounds like everyone has said what I would have said. But after hearing you've got 2 teenage boys, boys and leaf rake sounds like the way to go! Score! I'm getting ready to have twins. I'm going to have a beautiful yard and pool, in about 8 years. LOL

A Pentair rainbow leaf catcher works great with a standard vacuum head or inline with vacuum pool cleaners. It's got great capacity, keeps all the debris out of your pump basket and filter, and I have to say beats chasing down little bits on the bottom with a pool net, especially for a large pool.

R211086-2.jpg

Edit: Sorry I didn't read Rocco's earlier post that mentions the same canister.

Just wanted to update everyone on my progress cleaning out the debris after the storm. We've been working hard with the leaf rake and have also started running the Polaris and cleaning it out very regularly. Here is a before and after shot.
ehy2y6aq.jpg
damaqara.jpg

Now that I finally have the debris out I want to try and get started with BBB. I don't have my test kit yet so I suppose getting that is my best first step. What quantity of bleach should I plan to have on hand for a 30,000 gal pool?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that I finally have the debris out I want to try and get started with BBB. I don't have my test kit yet so I suppose getting that is my best first step. What quantity of bleach should I plan to have on hand for a 30,000 gal pool?

Thanks

Wow, I envy you that diving board! I sure wish we'd known how much I'd miss diving when we picked out our pool. :(

Otherwise- yes! You need to get on to ordering a nice test kit (TF-100 is my choice, and the extra large option is nice especially as you learn the tests... you have reagents enough to mess a few up and still have plenty to spare. If you can swing it the little magnetic bean spinner is a really, REALLY nice gadget that makes it all VERY easy and quick)
As to bleach, go pick up a big box of those 3-somes from Costco or SamsClub and that will get you started when you finally get the testing started. Remember you're probably going to need more at first as you get the pool cleaned up and in the groove with this new to you way. But it will get so much easier once mastered. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.