Replacing a sand filter and pump with a cartridge filter and pump

May 21, 2012
Depew, NY
Hi, I am looking to change my sand filter and pump with a Hayward X-Stream Cartridge filter and pump.

My pool is 24' round 52" depth
200 LBS sand filter
1.5HP pump

What size Hayward X-Stream Cartridge filter should I get?

100sqft with 1 HP pump or

150sqft with 1.5 HP pump?

Thanks,

Jim

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Why do you want to change the pump and filter? Is there anything wrong with them?

For a pool your size (~13500 gallons), we would generally recommend a cartridge filter around 200+ sqft. You may be able to get away with something smaller if you have a short season and low debris. You can not go to big on a cartridge filter, it just reduces the frequency of having to clean it.

Small pumps cost less money to run and if you have no high water flow needs, then stick to a smaller pump (1HP). And for more electrical savings, look at a 2-speed 1HP motor ... either to put on your existing pump or a new pump.

I want to change because it's difficult for me to change the sand in the filter and the pump broke at the end of last season.
Our season is only 3 months, so I was going to just replace the cartridge once a month and then rotate between the two cartridges for the season.

Thanks.

You should never need to change the sand in a sand filter. There is also no need to change a cartridge on a schedule. You should base your filter cleaning on when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

I know a LOT of members get the 1HP Power-flo Matrix 2-speed pump (SP15922S) for their AG pools. That will work for just about any filter size you want ... again larger being better.

I had to change the sand in my filter after the first two years, then I made the decision to just change it each year, because during the second year the pool water was cloudy and that was the only thing that would correct the problem. If I change the cartridge on a schedule then I shouldn't have any water problems. I like to think proactively and not wait until the water has a problem.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Jim

I had to change the sand in my filter after the first two years, then I made the decision to just change it each year, because during the second year the pool water was cloudy and that was the only thing that would correct the problem. If I change the cartridge on a schedule then I shouldn't have any water problems. I like to think proactively and not wait until the water has a problem.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Jim

You know you can backwash sand filters right? That's the way you "clean" the sand.

I never said wait to have a problem. I said that you should use the pressure reading to know when it is time to clean the filter (whether you backwash or swap cartridges). If you are doing it once a month, that may be more work than required.

Sand should NEVER need to be replaced ... if the water got cloudy, it was likely a chemistry issue and not a filter issue.

What test kit are you using? Should I assume one of the Recommended Test Kits since you are wanting to be proactive about pool maintenance? ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.