Hayward H400

Heater

Nov 1, 2012
I have an H400 that I'm having issues with and could use any help. The panel is not lighting up at all. I checked power to the transformer (240) is there. The other side had no power so I put a new one on it. Still the same result. What are the odds my new transformer is bad also? The panel was flickering and seemed to have water in it (long story, we'll say from the rain). I'm lost now anyone know if I can check the board? I'm sure they are expensive so don't want to dump money on one if I don't need it. Any help would be great, thanks!

How did you check the power in and out of the transformer? It is unlikely that a new one is bad but not impossible. A volt/ohm meter set to the proper scale should read 24 volts at the terminals on the board. I would not be too suspicious of the board until you verify the voltage is there

I checked it with 2 different multimeters. It had under 1 vac. So I did get another one and it has one 1 vac. I'm sure it's not 2 bad xformers so now I'm stuck. The ground seems to be strong but I'm going to try and run a wire straight from the 240 side over to the 24 side. Thoughts?

Ok so just checked the 24 side of the transformer and without the leads that go to the board on it, I'm getting 2 VAC on it....I'm lost. The 240 side is good I have 2 120 wires and the ground. I can only think the ground has to be weak. The ground is attached to the same metal the ground from the pump is on.

It's about 9 years old. So I checked the 240 side again, only had 120 this time. Checked continuity if the wires under ground in the conduit and it was intermittent. So long story short, one wire had broke underground. Ran 2 new wires and the heater works again. Thanks for the help guys.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.