Need Pool Pump Recommendations

Feb 16, 2014
Georgia
I have an old A.O. Smith Century Centurion single speed pump (believe it was installed in the early nineties) that I want to replace with an energy efficient unit. I am looking for recommends on a new variable speed pump (if that makes the most sense). What brand and model would you suggest?

Current pump -
1) 2 HP
2) Amps SF 11.5
3) Volts 230
4) RPMs 3450

Pool facts -
1) It is 30,000 gallons
2) One main drain and two skimmers
3) Two return lines
4) Sand filter
5) PVC into and out of the current pump is 2"
6) I have an external timer and external freeze guard (I am fine with not using these if the new pump has them built in)
7) I live in Atlanta and leave the pool open year round. I run it about 10-12 hours a day from May to September and average about 5 hours a day from October to April (this doesn't include the time when the freeze guard kicks on below freezing)
8)No water features, spa, or heater
9) price per kWh averages about 7 cents

I see you electric rate is very cheap ($.07 KWH). I think you're better going with a 2-speed motor. It's more cost efficient, the cost savings won't pay for the difference in price. Keep your existing wet end, maybe down size the impeller/diffuser, and go with a smaller 2 speed.

You can control it bare bones with a high/low switch or pick up a digital Intermatic timer that offers High/Low speed control, or look up 2EZ speed that has the timer built in.

Variable speeds really make the most sense (value) when the electrical cost are high.

Links:
Timer:http://www.intermatic.com/en/Produc..._Timer_Mechanisms/P1000ME_Series/P1353ME.aspx
2EZ motors: http://www.americanbestpoolsupply.com/search/first/0/2EZ Speed.htm

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Given the listed pool details and cheap power, I tend to agree that you could get by with a smaller 2-speed pump for a lot less upfront cost and save a large portion of your electricity bill. While the VS pump could save you a little more month to month, with your cheap power it may take many years to offset the adding upfront cost.

I think the 1HP Pentair Superflo 2-speed pump is likely plenty for you.

You are also currently likely running the pump much longer than is needed:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/152-determine-pump-run-time

Thanks guys for the quick responses. So it looks like the recommendation is to go with a 2 speed motor since my electricity costs are relatively low and because I don't have many supplemental bells and whistles (heater, fountains, etc.) Two recommendations to date are a 2EZ 1HP motor replacement with the timer built into the system or a 1HP Pentair Superflo 2 speed pump. Does the Superflo have a timer to toggle low/high built into it already? I could not find that on the website?

As for when to run low vs. high speed, is the standard to run at low speed almost all the time? And then when you vacuum, open the pool, flush out algae, etc. run at the high speed setting?

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Given the listed pool details and cheap power, I tend to agree that you could get by with a smaller 2-speed pump for a lot less upfront cost and save a large portion of your electricity bill. While the VS pump could save you a little more month to month, with your cheap power it may take many years to offset the adding upfront cost.

I think the 1HP Pentair Superflo 2-speed pump is likely plenty for you.

You are also currently likely running the pump much longer than is needed:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/152-determine-pump-run-time

The Superflo has a toggle switch to manually select speeds.

Generally, you run low all the time except when you need the higher flow rate (backwashing, vacuuming, priming, etc). You could hook a separate timer up to any 2-speed and have it run a short period on high speed every day (for better skimming) and then the rest on low.

I don't know anything about the EZ pumps. Kind of depends if you are looking to replace the entire pump or just the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.