How is SPA aerator plumbed? How does it work?

Jul 27, 2012
Austin, TX
Hi all,

I am in the process of re-plastering the pool. My PB superintendent pressure tested the SPA line and saw water leaking around the aerator and thru the grout between coping and tile. At first he thought the pipe loop is cracked. After thinking thru this problem, I remember the masonry guy did not cement the new aerator pipe to the old pipe. As a result, water leaks out from that coupling when all the jets are plugged and under pressure.

How are the SPA loop and the aerator normally plumbed? My aerator cap sits at the coping surface. I assume all the jets and the aerator are tied to the same loop, right? In a correctly plumbed system, does water come out from the cap when it is open to let air in? If water does not come out from the cap, why?

The superintendent is coming back tomorrow to pressure test the line with a new plug, which can go down to the aerator line. Should I dig out the aerator and glue it properly? If the water does not ever reach that high in the coupling, I would like to save my trouble by not fixing it. Please advise.

Scott

Spa jets use a venturi nozzle so that when the water travels through the venturi, it creates a low pressure in the vent pipe, what you are calling the aerator. This draws in air from the vent pipe which is mixed with the water. When you plug the jet nozzles, it forces water into the air vent and usually out the air vent. So if you are testing for leaks, you have to plug both the jet nozzles and the air vent.

Thanks Mark. The aerator I was referring to in my original post is actually called Air Control according to an online pool store. The plaster company is going to plug the air vent along with the jet nozzles in the coming days to pressure test the system again.

After recent coping re-model, I know the new air control is not glue to the old air vent. By the way, there is not coupling. I just checked. It is the new air control inserted into the inside of the old vent pipe. Should I dig out the air control and glue it to the vent pipe with PVC cement?

Thanks again.

Scott

The air vent will only leak when water gets to that joint. So if the water level is normally above that joint, then it probably should be fixed or you will be constantly losing water. If the normal water level is below the joint, then under normal conditions it may not leak water much just occasionally.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.