Safety covers that are easy to get on/off?

singerteacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
western Wisconsin
Caveat: I might be looking for something that doesn't exist.

I need a safety cover for my pool that I can take on/off nearly every day. The primary purpose is to catch any humans who might fall in; the secondary purpose is to catch leaves and bugs before they fall in. I'm relatively strong and good with hand tools. However, it would usually be just one person - me - that would remove/replace the cover. Ideally, I don't want it to take much more than 5 minutes, since I'm watching a little one simultaneously.

A Loop-Loc-type cover seems like a possibility, but don't they take two people a ton of time to remove/replace? I can't afford one of those motorized track covers, although they sound perfect. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for your ideas! :)

OK I can at least answer your Loop Loc question. We have one and love it...I only take it off at beginning of season and replace it at end of season, but it is quite easy. You do have to have it professionally installed (unless you're brave enough to drive anchors into your deck/concrete at the correct measurements), but the anchors screw down into the concrete with an allen wrench they provide (long handle) so that you don't trip over them when you're running around the pool.
Also, to remove each spring from the anchor, you just slide in a tool they have (looks like part of a vacuum handle) and twist it to release the spring...it really is easy, physically speaking.
However, you need to fan-fold the cover as it is coming off, and it is probably a little heavy/bulky for one person to manage...you'd be running from side to side, and the cover will sink if it sits on the water too long with no support.
They do give you an oversized bag to put the cover in (the cover actually fits into the bag) but again, probably a 2-person job.
hope this helps!

singerteacher said:
However, it would usually be just one person - me - that would remove/replace the cover. Ideally, I don't want it to take much more than 5 minutes, since I'm watching a little one simultaneously.

I don't think they make such a cover. A fence with lockable gates is the best way to go. If your house is used as one side of the fence; and you have a door from the inside to the pool area, you really have to think about that door.(ways to lock it, alarms, etc)

Just my opinion.

singerteacher said:
My other half is opposed to fences for aesthetic reasons, but it looks like that might be our only option. Thanks for the advice!

Your insurance company will dump you in a heartbeat if they find out you have an unfenced inground pool. You may also be exposing yourself to higher liability than you would without the fence.

There are some very attractive aluminum fences that run about half what an auto cover costs.

My better have did not want a fence around our pool, because it comes pretty close to the house, so she did not think there was enough room to put a fence.

So, we ended up with a "semi automatic" safety cover. It has a motor for opening, but you need two people to close/cover the pool. One person needs to be on each side of the pool, pulling the cover over the pool. It is impossible for one person to do this.

There are these plastic pins that anchor into the ground about every three feet, that need to be pulled out to open, and put in to close. So, it takes maybe 10-15 minutes to open or close the pool.

And, it is still pretty expensive. Cheaper than a fully automatic cover, but not cheap.

We would have gone fully automatic, but with the shape of our pool there were walls in the way of where the rails need to be.

Randy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.