Help me decide on a new pool pump and controller

Scari

Sep 9, 2013
I want to replace the 1.5 hp Hayward pump, that came with the house. It's a small pool, (7500 gal.) I just replaced the chlorine generator, to a Circupool Si series. I also have a solar heat, which is currently not working. (The bus bar in the control, disintegrated when hooked up the power. Not to mention the fittings are leaky on it anyway.)
The pump is extremely loud and I can tell the motor was replaced. This tells me, there's not much life in the pump. I'm interested in the Pentair Intelliflo 011018 and the suntouch control for the pump and solar heat. From the manual, there doesn't seem to be any aux power for any other power on the suntouch, to hook up the chlorine generator. Am I reading this wrong, or do I have to have a different timer for the chlorine generator? Seems kinda silly, to pay that much money for a relay switch for the solar, plus, the chlorine generator has to be on, when the pump is on to work.
Suggestions on a better pump, or a different configuration are welcome. Thanks so much.

The Intelliflo is a BIG pump for your small pool.
You could just replace the motor with a 2-speed on the existing pump. Run on high for solar and low when no solar to save a good chunk of electricity.
Can you be more specific on WHICH Hayward 1.5HP pump you have?

There are smaller cheaper VS pumps from Hayward, but they do not integrate into automation very well, so not likely a good choice for you.

I think the Suntouch can control a 2-speed pump and thus should be able to power the SWG, although I am not too knowledgeable about that line of automation. I do know that is a NICE solar controller, just not sure if it meets all our needs. Like if you got the Intelliflo could the Suntouch control the pump speeds or not.

The SunTouch does not include a circuit breaker panel, but it does include four relays for switching various things. It is easy to setup a SunTouch to turn on the SWG only while the pump is running.

The IntelliFlo is probably a bit much for that small of a pool unless your electric rates are very very high. You might do better to look at one of the smaller variable speed pumps, which pay back their initial investment much more quickly.

Thanks for the replies. They Hayward pump is model SP3010X15AZ and the motor is Marathon electric hp, single phase, 3450 rpm, 115/230 volt, (is that normal voltage..seems odd.)
What type of smaller variable speed pump do you suggest? I have been looking all over and my brain is spinning from all the info. If I can save a few pennies, that would help. I found the intelliflo for 840.00 and a 1 year warranty.
I don't necessarily need the suntouch to control the solar, just a new controller. I was just seeing that it went with the intelliflo.
I'm interested in a variable speed, as they seem to use the least power.
We just recently moved to this house. The power bill seems high to me, for not running any hvac, plus, we just got all new energy star appliances. I'm thinking it's the pool pump and/or the water heater. (Just checked our old power bills. Our new house is running 10 kwh/day higher. I'm only running the pump 6 hours, at night, as it's not currently being used.)

That means the pump can be wired for either 115 or 230 ... you have to figure out which one you current motor uses. Most all 2-speed or VS pumps are 230V.

The smaller VS pumps are from Hayward ... the SuperPump VS and the Max-flo VS, but their timers are not setup the best for using solar. See my post here for why: http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...toward-WhisperFlo-2-speed?p=605623#post605623

A simple 2-speed will save a lot of power running on low, but for solar it is best to be on high. The VS can save a little more by running at even lower speeds, but it could take many years to save more than the added upfront cost of a VS pump (depending on your power cost).

Thanks for your advice.
I'm sure my pump runs on 230volt, because I had to use the jumper for 240v on my swg.
I have been reading the reviews for the hayward (sp3400 vs and sp2300,) and they are not positive. These Hayward pumps are a few years older, than the intelliflo 011018. The ecostar, actually costs more.
I don't want to hurt the pool, or anything. I can't seem to find a small, vs pump. They seem to be all the same size.

The Hayward SuperPump VS (SP2600VSP) and MaxFlo VS (SP2300VSP) are smaller. As mentioned in that other thread it looks like Pentair just released smaller VS pumps as well, the Superflo VS and the SuperMax VS.

Why do you think that a VS is still better than a 2-speed for your application?
What is your electrical cost per kW?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.