Burning Eyes?

Jun 15, 2008
S.E. Wisconsin
Today after swimming for a little over an hour, my mom was complaining that her eyes were burning, and a little later that her hands were also burning(her hands are crackly/rough from bleach at her work). I nor my sister or her friend had burning skin and I never opened my eyes under water.

Here are my test results about 30 min after swimming.

Water Temp: 89 F :mrgreen: (powered 100% by the sun. :p )

FC= 0
CC= 0
TC= 0
pH= 7.1
T/A= 160
TH= 90 (total hardness)
CYA= 60

This morning I tested and my FC and TC were the same, but they were low if that matters...

So, what do I need to do/add besides chlorine to get my water in tip-top sparkling condition? Also, how much chlorine do I need to add/what should my FC level be? Pool details are in my sig.

Also, what could be causing my moms burning eyes? It can't be chlorine, because there is non, so there must be something else?

TIA,
Adam

Ok, I'll check the calc. to see how much liquid chlorine to add(12% at the pool store was $3.00 per gal., so that's what we have).

Can I just aerate to raise my PH, or do I need to do something else? Will aerating screw anything else up?

TIA,
Adam

Aquaman95 said:
Wait to adjust the pH until after you add the bleach, let it mix and retest. Bleach is very basic (13 or so) and may raise your pH as well as get cl in the pool.

You are mostly right, but that could be misleading in some cases. You want to adjust the PH when the FC level is at it's normal day to day level, but not while shocking. Bleach will raise the PH right when you add it, but as the chlorine gets consumed the PH will come down again to where it started.

Because the FC level got down to zero it is probably a good idea to shock the pool, though it you catch it soon enough that may not be required.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.