New in ground Shotcrete Pool Build in South Florida.

Sep 13, 2013
South Florida
After lurking in these forums for months and learning a ton, we are finally about to break ground. Its been a lot of motivation to watch all those spectacular builds go from a patch of dirt/grass to a unique designs. Our dig is scheduled for Wednesday February 19th. As our son turns a month old. Lets just hope it comes out as great as the builds shared here. Here is what we have so far, but we are open to suggestions and ideas:

Here are the specs:

Perimeter: 168ft (Pool & Spa)
Dimensions: 20'x40' rectangular, 8'x10' sun deck, and 8'x8' negative edge glass tile spa raised 24"
Pool Depth: 3' - 6'
Volume: 29,407 gal (Pool & Spa)
Surface Area: 895 sqft
Shotcrete: 3500psi
Pool Walls & Slab Thickness: 8"
Spa Walls Thickness: 10"
Decking: 1600 sqft of Travertine French Pattern Walnut Color to include refinishing existing Terrace.
Coping: 12"x24" Travertine coping Walnut Color
Finish: Marbletite Marquis series Quarts
Pool Returns: 4 Looped
Spa Jets: 8 Jets
Skimmers: 2
Pipe Size: 2.5"
Vac Line: Yes
Valves: Jandy neverlube

Pump: Pentair 3HP VS pump
Filter: Pentair CCP 520 Cartridge filter
SWCG: Pentair IC-60
Lights: (2) Pentair Intellibrite 5G LED pool lights, (1) Pentair Intellibrite 5G LED spa light, (1) Pentair ColorCascade LED Bubbler
Blower: 2 HP
Heat Pump: Pentair Ultratemp 140K BTU

Automation: Pentair Intellitouch Load Center with i7+3 Personality kit, Pentair Screenlogic 2 controlled by iPad, (3) Pentair Valve Actuators.

Water Features: (4) Pentair MagicStream Deck Jet II's, (1) Pentair ColorCascade Bubbler on sundeck.

Additional: (2) Light posts and (2) GFCI's in the rear perimeter of the pool.

Last edited:
Thank you for the welcome guys. We are super exited, and to top it off yesterday I notice a neighbor's yard being excavated for a free form pool.

Vegas kid: super nice design. Love the color selections. Looking forward to see the finished product.

Noticed your heater at only 140K BTU...do you plan on only using it for the spa per the schematic? I'm guessing you might be able to bump up the heater at minimal cost to help with reducing the heating time for the spa. You could get that bad boy toasty in 20 min with a larger heater.

Also, do you want to swim laps? If so, you may need to take out some steps to allow for turning aro

It's actually not a heater but a heat pump. We just want to use the pool year round more than anything. Most pools down here don't have anything. It was advised that since the air temp is above 45-50 deg year round that would be our best option, and also that we don't have any gas on the property... It is my understanding that's the biggest heat pump pentair makes, I know heater ratings go a lot higher. I do like the idea of getting the spa hot and ready in a flash but to burry a gas tank and run lines is too much. Maybe something for the future... and add gas tiki torches. :party::party:

Hey Jro. I'm sure I took longer than most due to having to wait to do a babyshower in the back yard, and then waiting for our son to be born. I would say 4 months to the day. I purposely delayed everything but once we approved the drawings and submitted the plans for permitting, took about 3 weeks for permit, about another week or so for marking utilities and dig schedule.

Was your experience any different?
How is the relocation of your utilities going?

Congrats on your new son, Northrider!

Sounds like you are right on schedule -- we were given a 3 week estimate to receive permits so I'm happy to hear that was your experience.

As for us, we are currently redesigning the pool. We're going to relocate the electric and telephone, but we cannot move the main gas line. :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Day one of digging didn't start till friday and this is how far we got.. the wednesday date was postponed till thursday, and the machine that was brought out on thursday was not strong enough for the lime rock. PB says we might have another day and a half to two days of digging.

Last edited:
It is super exiting, you will be there in no time Jro. Can't wait till its done ( about 3 months total ).
Thanks bobodaclown trying to get the most pics i can, I'll be sure to keep the build updated.

After 2.5 days of hard work the excavation phase is complete. Framing and Steel is next as well as the main drain and spa plumbing.

Spa Area

Last edited:
its actually all limerock. the first digger that was brought out didn't even make a dent. Had to come back the next day with a bigger machine. The operator was still saying that the bottom was very, very hard. The trees are all avocados. where the house actually sits used to be an avocado grove, previous owner divided all the land into acre parcels and build homes. I think in total we have 58 trees left.

Today they are framing and installing rebar. Crew states it might take about 2-3 days to complete the job. Ill post pictures later on tonight of todays progress.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.