Leak with system running

Dec 30, 2013
Warner Robins, GA
About a month ago I posted a thread about my pool losing about an inch of water every day with the system running. Being new to pool ownership, I imagined the worst-case scenario - having to dig up my pool deck looking for plumbing problems. However, when I called my local pool supply store and explained my problem and what components made up my system, the lady there suggested a simple troubleshooting technique and I thought I'd share it with anyone else out there experiencing the same issue. For those with Hayward sand filters with the controls/valve on the top of the unit, make sure valve control is on the "filter" option. Turn the system on and monitor the "backwash" drain for running water. If there's water coming out of that, then the gasket in the function selector on top of the filter is bad. The fix is a ~ $8 dollar gasket.

I have lost almost 50% of my pool water before when the multi-valve did not fully seat in the filter position and water just dumped out of my drain line (which goes underground and to the back of the property). I now put a union on the waste pipe and leave it open so I can make sure I am not losing water through there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.