How to test pH at very high FC level?

Water_man

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
Brookline, MA
The water at the top of the Liquidator has FC level of 100 - 250 ppm for 6% bleach , or double for 12% LC.
How can one measure the pH of a sample taken from there, which has such a high FC level, with the "standard" kits such as Taylor's etc. ?

JasonLion said:
The PH is going to be around 9 or 10, but I can't imagine why you would need to know that.

There's a practical reason why one may want to know that.
According to what an acclaimed Liquidator guru is saying here the white deposit, which troubles many Liquidator users, is caused by the high pH of the upper water layer. If one can control and/or monitor this pH either by lowering the pool's pH or
at the Liquidator's end, one may solve this problem once and for all.

You can lower the PH in the Liquidator by increasing the water flow through the liquidator, lowering the pools PH, raising TA, and raising borates. However the change in PH in the liquidator will be minimal. PH is a logarithmic scale, so it takes huge changes in the pool water to compensate for the very high PH of bleach. Also, all of those steps will have significant effects on your pool which may or may not be so good.

Quoting you in bold blue

You can lower the PH in the Liquidator by increasing the water flow through the liquidator

This will affect the FC feed so it's not practical

raising borates

Please explain how raising borates would lower the pH.

However the change in PH in the liquidator will be minimal. PH is a logarithmic scale, so it takes huge changes in the pool water to compensate for the very high PH of bleach

I'm also skeptical that lowering the pool's pH to 7.2 will do the job, but as mentioned above someone who is considered as an experienced pro suggested it.

I wish that someone with more pool expreience and knowledge than what I have talk with that guy and straighten things out.

JasonLion said:
Borates act as a PH buffer. Given some amount of bleach, a PH increaser in this situation, migrating into the water layer, the total PH change will be lower when there is more buffering.

Suppose this is a viable solution, isn't it true that upon adding borates to the pool water the pH will rise? After all, this is part of the BBB method.
Then, if one wants to use the buffering capacity of the borates and maintain the balanced pH of the pool, one should also need to add acid in order to lower the pH back to its normal value.

Are borates used in a similar way in SWGs?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.