In the market for a new AG pool. What should I look for?

Jun 25, 2009
Loogootee, IN
Long time no see! Sorry for being away so long. (2+ years) Went through some personal issues.

I feel as if I am competent enough to upgrade from my Intex pool to a "real pool"

I have went to the 2 closest pool stores (24mi away) And they are wanting $4,000+ for a 21ft round pool package and Starting price of $1,800 to install it. Price is higher for leveling.

I have consulted a local landscaping guy that many people have recommended and he will level a 35x35ft square area and 18ftx30ft driveway path for $450 (new home, still no "actual" driveway) To save $1,800 I will install the pool myself with the help of 4 relatives and put the money towards a deck.

I have found complete 21ft round pool packages on ebay ranging from $1,400-$2,400. And oval shaped for same price range for a 12x24. Would any brand with a 20+ warranty work?

Give me opinions please. What brand do you have/suggest?

Thanks

I do not have any brand recommendations, but wanted to say that many members have found great deals on used pools on Craigslist. Even free. Just have to buy a new liner sometimes. Just something to consider.

Craig's List is an excellent place too look for a DIY pool project and now is the best time because people practically give them away for any number of reasons.

One thing to add, is if you get a used pool make sure to look at all the parts and make sure everything is in good shape.

Try to get the name of the pool and manufacture, in case you need replacement parts.

My two cents is if you have the money, it's a great plan to have the place for the pool leveled (don't forget about getting electricity for the pool and deck stuff too) and have family help for install. Some place here in the under construction forum someone got a pool mailed to them from (I think) poolsupplyworld. If there was any problems, quick phone call solved it. You may be able to pick and chose better equipment than the standard lowest bidder stuff that is included with normal package. I would strongly urge you to consider looking at both mail order and your local guy.

You are probably past the fall sales most of the pool stores have. I would be surprised if you got a "deal" on anything. If you can stand the wait, Craigslist is excellent, I would factor in the cost of a new liner in the deal.....no matter what the age is. My reasoning is, unless it is a brand new pool or if you can tell the pool has been well taken care of, I think using someone else's liner is just asking for problems. Just use their frame, pump, and hardware.

Bob E.

I put a 24' Doughboy above ground pool in at my parents house about 26 years ago. It is on it's second liner but the shell is still in great shape. It has 6" rails which makes the pool more stable. They cost a little more but last and was worth every penny of the extra cost at the time!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.