Gas Line Shock

Feb 12, 2014
San Antonio, TX
We are building a pool and having a 400K BTU installed. The pool company doesn't run the gas line, so I have been working this and got our first quote today.

The details:

Of course our gas comes on the opposite side of where the equipment will be. Our gas line for our furnace and water heaters runs up the side of our 2 story house into the attic where the equipment is. So we need a new gas line for the pool heaters. To trench around the house is 170' of hard, rocky south Texas soil. Up and over through the attic would be 20 feet up, 20 feet down and about 50 feet across. So here is the shocking first quote.

With a 10% Angie's List discount --- $7,011. Yep. Thats right. That is 7K. To me that just sounds like highway robbery.

Anyone have any similar circumstances for comparison. I was expecting to pay around $3000 or less for up and through the attic gas line.

Thanks!

Everybody always thinks/expects something to be cheaper in their mind. I can't really comment on the cost because the prices where I'm at are different from where you are. Like I always suggest, ask the company to explain to you what they are doing for that cost. What type of material(s) are they using? What size of pipe are they using and are they having to add a regulator by the heater? There could very well be something you are not aware of. You may think it's an easy 20 ft up, 50 ft over, and anther 20 ft down. I wouldn't be surprised if they are charging extra for having to hang out in your attic doing this work.

As a curiosity, I am wondering how you came up with an expectation of $3000.00. get a couple more quotes from some reputable HVAC or plumbing shops. personally I would stay away from Angies list as I do know of some guys who have had shills on there for them. Even a BBB recommendation is not always a good barometer to use as rankings can be bought with donations to them. Best to ask around and see who some of your friends use for service work like this. I usually call the same companies that do work for us where I work if I need someone.

I'd rent a ditchwitch, dig the trench, buy the pipe and then get a plumber to make the connections to your meter. Will probably be less that $2K. I got a quote for my build for the fireplace and it was 1" line, 140 lnft, $2100. No way $7K is even close.

Is there any chance you will have to upgrade your meter for the increased demand? Just something to consider.

I'd rent a ditchwitch, dig the trench, buy the pipe and then get a plumber to make the connections to your meter. Will probably be less that $2K. I got a quote for my build for the fireplace and it was 1" line, 140 lnft, $2100. No way $7K is even close.

Is there any chance you will have to upgrade your meter for the increased demand? Just something to consider.

I concur. We saved BIG on a few things by paying day laborers to dig the trenches. (I'm lazy)

Luckily my pool guy wants to put my equipment less than 3 ft from where the gas meter is to be. Gas company was very helpful too, he wants to hang a dbl meter instead of running me a separate line (1500.00)

Getting three bids is a must and a minimum so you can compare. Also, if you can be there when they are bidding it so you can ask questions. You might think it's an easy 20, 20, and 50 ft but in reality it can be more than that. Plus if they are doing the job with a permit, then it has to be done within code and there might be somethings you aren't aware of.

We ran gas line for our patio grill only, not a heater. It was nothing like that far, but they were allowed to do it with a buried flex. They were going to quote it by the trenched foot plus some flat fee to show up and terminate it. I ended up getting it for a few hundred because I gave them open trench and did not require backfill. The kid who did it backfilled anyway and even fab'd a quick connect loop for the grill. Come to think of it though - these guys were subs of the gas company (propane supplier not LNG) and it is very possible they were subsidized. Still... I agree 7 grand seems a lot.

For a 400k heater don't recommend any flex with any rib. You want a smooth bore supply line. I would recommend a couple more estimates and question them about what you are able to do yourself and what you are comfortable doing. If you are pulling off your current supply they may be replacing it all the way back to meter to have enough pipe size to supply possible demand.

As a curiosity, I am wondering how you came up with an expectation of $3000.00. get a couple more quotes from some reputable HVAC or plumbing shops. personally I would stay away from Angies list as I do know of some guys who have had shills on there for them. Even a BBB recommendation is not always a good barometer to use as rankings can be bought with donations to them. Best to ask around and see who some of your friends use for service work like this. I usually call the same companies that do work for us where I work if I need someone.

The PB, who as been building pools for decades, provided that figure. I am well read and done a lot of home construction projects myself feel that figure is way off. But, I have two other estimates coming so we will see.

This catch is this from a reputable plumber. I won't do business with anyone who isn't.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Everybody always thinks/expects something to be cheaper in their mind. I can't really comment on the cost because the prices where I'm at are different from where you are. Like I always suggest, ask the company to explain to you what they are doing for that cost. What type of material(s) are they using? What size of pipe are they using and are they having to add a regulator by the heater? There could very well be something you are not aware of. You may think it's an easy 20 ft up, 50 ft over, and anther 20 ft down. I wouldn't be surprised if they are charging extra for having to hang out in your attic doing this work.

In the case, I know the run is quite simple - nothing complex, but does require some ladder work(I walked the job and attic with my 2nd estimate today). Basically 100 f of 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 black steel pipe. Even the plumber today said materials are much its the labor. And the quote I already received did tack on ladder work and limited access line items.

Based on your link, it appears you are in the trade and I think we can both agree this is a little high.

Yes sir, my thoughts exactly! $7K is way too high. I had the same issue with the drain line for my ODK. Have your utility lines mapped/marked and sub out the dig-labor; Craigslist. $2000 seems reasonable.

Make sure that the workers have workers comp insurance because if they get hurt on your property you will holding the bill. I'd be extremely cautious about hiring folks from Craigslist. If you must, you better make sure they are licensed, if need be for your county/state, and carry insurance. The last thing you want is someone hurting themselves on your property because it then it could become their property. Lots of scammers out there these days.

UPDATE:
I just spoke with the plumber who's installing our gas line from the meter to the fireplace. He told me he charges anywhere from $7 to $10 a linear foot for the installation and hook up. That includes the digging and pipe.

he also mentioned that separate plumbers are ridiculous and usually can get it much cheaper through your pool builder.

Either way, a few hundred to dig the ditch and not much more for the pipe. It's not rocket science, just a few fittings.

No way I'd pay more than $2K

Do you have a sprinkler system? If so it may mean you have to hand dig the trench. That, in combination that you probably have rock not too far under your top soil... I know I wouldn't want to hand dig solid rock!

UPDATE:
I just spoke with the plumber who's installing our gas line from the meter to the fireplace. He told me he charges anywhere from $7 to $10 a linear foot for the installation and hook up. That includes the digging and pipe.

he also mentioned that separate plumbers are ridiculous and usually can get it much cheaper through your pool builder.

Either way, a few hundred to dig the ditch and not much more for the pipe. It's not rocket science, just a few fittings.

No way I'd pay more than $2K

$7-$10 to dig and install the pipe?? WOW. Seems way too low but oh well.

Those unfamiliar with south Texas (specifically the outskirts of Texas hill country) you CAN'T dig more than 2 inches without hitting rock. So trenching is expensive!

The first quote when I got the details made no sense. They were using Yellow Polyethylene which, according to others, shouldn't be used in non-burial application. This was suppose to be a 100ft attic run. Not trenching. Supposedly, this plumber was new to the shop and I think he got confused. There are other line items for limited access (attic) and ladder work so I think the estimate is all hosed any way.

The second estimate came in and to do the 100 ft (20 up 50 over and 20 up) attic run with black steel pipe (1 1/2) came in at $4000 (parts, labor, permit). He said it would be a 2 day job. I would guess that fittings, pipe, regulator and permit and such can't be more $1200. So the rest is labor. Seems a bit much but better than $7700. And closer to what I expected (and what the PB told me).

Waiting for the third.

Unfortunately, going through the PB is not an option. Of the 6 PBs I have dealt with only 2 of the 6 included the COMPLETE gas and electric run. The others did not, or least what they covered was not sufficient seeing the length of the run and upgrade of electrical panel.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.