Cost of chemicals for saltwater pool?

Jun 12, 2008
My hubby and I are thinking about putting in a saltwater pool. We were debating how much it might cost in chemicals on a monthly basis. It would be for a 465 Sq Ft. sport pool. Can someone give us an idea of how much it will cost?

If by "salt pool" you mean a pool with salt and a SWG to produce chlorine, then the chemical costs on an average month will be very low. Mostly you tend to need some muriatic acid, probably one gallon at around $5. Then you might need a pound or two of baking soda, $1.50.

Then there are a couple of things that are only required perhaps once or twice a season. Spreading them out over the season, one month's worth might give you 20 lbs of salt, $2.50. 1 lb of CYA, $3. Two gallons of bleach $3. One cup of polyquat, $5. If you have a plaster pool then 5 lbs of calcium, $7.50. If something goes wrong and you get algae once a season, then another $3 of bleach.

All of this is approximate and will depend on the size of your pool. The first month's costs will be higher as you need to add a lot of salt to start.

Since my entry into the salt water gang didn't work out this year, I may have to check into it again next year. In addition to the monthly chemical cost what is the minimum and maximum that people are getting from their cells before they need to replace them?

thanks,

dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.