Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cost of chemicals for saltwater pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cost of chemicals for saltwater pool?

My hubby and I are thinking about putting in a saltwater pool. We were debating how much it might cost in chemicals on a monthly basis. It would be for a 465 Sq Ft. sport pool. Can someone give us an idea of how much it will cost?
    Kristy
    In construction!

16'6" X 33 Lagoon
    13,000 gallons
    rock coping
    tile border
    textured/colored decking
    Tahoe Blue Pebble Tec
    2 Deck Jets
    SWG (Goldline)
    Legend II Cleaner
    1.5 hp pump (Duraglass)
    Sand filter with zerobrite

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cost of chemicals for saltwater pool?

If by "salt pool" you mean a pool with salt and a SWG to produce chlorine, then the chemical costs on an average month will be very low. Mostly you tend to need some muriatic acid, probably one gallon at around $5. Then you might need a pound or two of baking soda, $1.50.

Then there are a couple of things that are only required perhaps once or twice a season. Spreading them out over the season, one month's worth might give you 20 lbs of salt, $2.50. 1 lb of CYA, $3. Two gallons of bleach $3. One cup of polyquat, $5. If you have a plaster pool then 5 lbs of calcium, $7.50. If something goes wrong and you get algae once a season, then another $3 of bleach.

All of this is approximate and will depend on the size of your pool. The first month's costs will be higher as you need to add a lot of salt to start.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I mean a pool with a SWG. Thanks so much for responding! Glad to know the cost is low!
    Kristy
    In construction!

16'6" X 33 Lagoon
    13,000 gallons
    rock coping
    tile border
    textured/colored decking
    Tahoe Blue Pebble Tec
    2 Deck Jets
    SWG (Goldline)
    Legend II Cleaner
    1.5 hp pump (Duraglass)
    Sand filter with zerobrite

4. Back To Top    #4

Even when you figure in the cost of the electricity to run the SWG the cost is still very low!

5. Back To Top    #5

Since my entry into the salt water gang didn't work out this year, I may have to check into it again next year. In addition to the monthly chemical cost what is the minimum and maximum that people are getting from their cells before they need to replace them?

thanks,

dan
    21' Aqua-Leader AGP (10,200 gallons).
    Hayward cartridge filter and two speed pump.
    Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Salt 3200ppm (in non-salt water pool)
    Borates 20ppm (slowly raising)
    Aqua-Rite SWG