Vinyl vs Fiberglass???

jeams

Nov 19, 2013
Omaha
Well, as we continue to get more information, our decision is getting more and more complicated! We've been thinking vinyl all along, but after reading about fiberglass pools and checking out some models/options, I think fiberglass may be a good option.

We are looking at Viking Pools, specifically the Mediterranean model paired with a spillover spa. After finding out we can add custom tiling and pick from a range of shell colors we are initially excited about them.

Does anyone have any advice for us in choosing between vinyl and fiberglass? Has anyone purchased a Viking fiberglass pool who can share their experiences?

One of Vikings manufacturing plants is in my area. I have a friend who has a viking pool. She has nothing but positive things to say about it. She's had it 2-3yrs.

We have seen a couple LONG horror stories about mishaps during install of a fiberglass pool. But if you have a good installer who does things correctly, then it can be a great pool.

Only thing in my mind is that when the surface starts to go, you can not really update them I don't think. You can always get a new liner or re-plaster, but nothing you can really do with fiberglass very easily.

Viking is owned by Latham Mfg, who also happens to own Trilogy and Blue Hawaiian. Trilogy developed a color coating that is similar to corian countertops. This color coating is shared between the three companies. They all have a good shell manufacturing process, the biggest influence on an installation is the installer. If they do it right with this color finish it could be 20-25 years before any degradation of color is seen. Then lightly wet sanding will bring the shine back. Just to clarify I am an authorized retailer/installer for Trilogy.

Like others mentioned, the installation of the fiberglass pool will make or break it. Recommend to thuroughly research online how it is supposed to be done and then review the process with the PB before making your decision.

If we go with a Viking pool, it would seem that we would be required to use the intaller that has rights in our market. I guess all I can do is ask for a bunch of referrals and visit some of the pools they have installed in the past. Then if I'm not comfortable with the quality of install, I'm out of luck and cannot get a Viking installed from anyone else? Seems like an inefficient process for Viking to use.... competition drives up efficiency and drives down prices, and without a choice of builder it would seem to work in the opposite direction!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure where you are located in the midwest as that is a general area. If you go to the viking website usually on the dealer locator they will try to find the 3 nearest dealers to you and have them get in touch with you. Not saying there are that many in your general area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.