NEW POOL OWNER! rebulding system

Feb 12, 2014
Tampa,Fl
I purchased a home with a pool that has not been operation for 10 months. I just purchased Hayward SP2300 VSP pump. I plan on replumbing all exposed pipes. It currently has an inline chlorinator and Hayward perflex DE filter. I was planning on removing inline tablet chlorinator and purchasing a new filter. I am undecided on cartridge filter or DE filter. From my online reading the trichlor tablets are not good to use in the pool due to increase CYA. If kept a DE filter on system would the back washes be enough to remove CYA so I can keep an inline chlorinator?Also, I am in florida and we do get a lot of rain so I know I will be draining pool on occasion. My issue is I work 24hr shifts and sometimes 48hr shift or even 72hr shift so I would not be home to manually add bleach. Also where is a good place to purchase 3 way ball valves? The local pool store is about 40% higher on everything.
So my questions are: should I use inline chlorine tablets or not? Should I buy DE filter or cartridge Filter. I have 3 kids so the pool will be getting lots of use! Which filter is the most economical?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You are correct that continued use of tablets can result in the CYA getting too high. This is especially true in areas where the season is long and the pool is not partially drained for the winter. Will the rain and subsequent draining and backwashing help dilute the CYA ... certainly. Will that be enough to offset exclusive use of tablets ... hard to say. Other options include getting a SWG system or an automatic bleach dosing system (liquidator or peristaltic pump).

You do not want "ball valves". You should be looking for pool 3-way valves from any of the big brand names. You can find them all over the internet. Shop around.

Filter type is all personal choice. Different people like different types. I am not sure any is "more economical". If you are going to try to use tablets, then sticking with a DE or sand filter might help due to the backwashing. If you go with a cartridge, you may want to plumb in your own waste valve before the filter for draining off the rain water. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/160-pool-filter-comparison

For a 13k pool these would be good filter sizes to stay above:
200 sqft cartridge
21" diameter sand
36 sqft DE

When the CYA does build up beyond recommended maximums how much of a water change is required ? I know you cant give an exact amount, but a rough estimate? h2o is expensive in may area. Also I am still on the fence between DE filter and Cartridge? In regards to microns, is read DE can filter up to 5 microns and a cartridge can filter 10-15 microns. Is that noticabale to the naked eye? I like the fact the DE filter is a finer filter, but I like the less maintenance of the cartridge. Another limiting factor would be the price of replacement cartridges.
My pool is currently clear but the bottom is covered with silt. I hate to vacuum all that up into my new pump and filter. I am considering renting a small trash pump to clean the bottom of the pool before it put it online. I am looking into the automatic bleaching system "liquidator or peristaltic pump.
Thanks for the response

The amount of water change depends on the high CYA level and your desired target ... the CYA reduction is directly proportional to the amount of water replaced. Replace 25% of the water and the CYA goes down by 25%, replace 50% of the water and the CYA will drop to 50%.

All the filters can maintain crystal clear water. Many members have invisible water using a sand filter which on paper does not filter as well.

If you properly maintain the water chemistry, the cartridges should last many many years.

I would not bother with a silt pump. Just make sure you have a waste feature on your new pump (or add a 3way valve before a cartridge filter) and you can pump it out to waste using a manual vacuum hooked up to your suction line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.