Outdoor ceiling fans

Dec 16, 2013
Cypress TX
I'm looking for some recommendations on outdoor ceiling fans that are used in covered patios, preferably buildings that have all 4 sides open.

I've done a search but only found some stuff from 07, so I figured I'd ask again.

My cover will be 16x24 so I'll have 2 ceiling fans, approx 60" each. One option is getting a large fan like a Big *** Fan http://www.bigassfans.com/products/isis/ , but they're very expensive. Another option would be the Minka Aire series. Relatively cheap but they move some major air at around 8500+cfm; plus they are DC drive so I could run them all day.

http://www.lumens.com/slipstream-ce...-uu499068.html#cgid= 8575 &&tileIndex=4

I'm looking to see what others have used, especially in this texas heat.

Thanks

It's the moisture that destroys them (corrosion/blade warping). My cheap Hampton Bays have outlasted most other standard brands 3:1 (had a running bet with my nephew). They are 48" outdoor rated with plastic blades; plenty of power and I couldn't justify spending more than $60/each for outdoor use.

I've always had good luck with Hunter fans. I've had one for three years in my east facing patio here in Az. It's been through several hardcore monsoon seasons with no issues. Craigslist is a great resource for ceiling fans if you dont mind buying used. Those Big***** fans are cool!

Here's another vote for Hunter - we had a 52 inch on our breezeway in Houston. It was exposed on three sides due to the offset garage. Rarely ran it on high speed because it was a mini hurricane, wish I knew the model number! it lasted six years and I'm guessing it's still running, based on its longevity, we bought two for this patio.

I bought a harbor breeze fan that is meant to be outdoors for our back porch, the blades are some sort of plastic. So far it has done nicely. The blades are wider than the avg fan. The hunter before it lasted quite awhile, but it was a normal indoor styled fan, and the blades were starting to sag. It moved a TON of air. This one moves less air but I believe that to be due to blade design.

I too have the Harbor breeze outdoor fans on my patio with the plastic blades which look really nice. Even these are sagging a good bit already ... Humidity is not our problem, but maybe it is the heat. We have had them for 3-4 years and not used very much ... wind blowing on you when it is 100 degrees outside does not help much :lol:

Just recently both of the fan's lights have stopped working. They just dimly pulse which is odd. I can only speculate that the electronics in the fan have for some reason gone bad.

I too have the Harbor breeze outdoor fans on my patio with the plastic blades which look really nice. Even these are sagging a good bit already ... Humidity is not our problem, but maybe it is the heat. We have had them for 3-4 years and not used very much ... wind blowing on you when it is 100 degrees outside does not help much :lol:

Just recently both of the fan's lights have stopped working. They just dimly pulse which is odd. I can only speculate that the electronics in the fan have for some reason gone bad.
IS yours this one?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_396794-8885...t_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=Indoor/Outdoor

That's the one I have. mine sagged like the image since new. I assume it's intentional.

what ever brand you get make sure it say "wet" in the description. all the other ones will sag real bad in a short period of time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As I said above, my blades are plastic and meant for outdoors, but they are pretty saggy now after a few years.

BTW, I mention the lights pulsing. I have recently learned that fans after 2007 or so in the US have some electronics to detect if you use bulbs greater than 40watts and shut it down. Well, turns out even if you do use appropriate bulbs, these electronics go bad. A quick search of youtube revealed that there is a little black box that you can cut out of the circuitry and with a few minutes work my lights are now back to working perfectly :party: ... just be sure you do not use oversize bulbs ;)

As I said above, my blades are plastic and meant for outdoors, but they are pretty saggy now after a few years.

BTW, I mention the lights pulsing. I have recently learned that fans after 2007 or so in the US have some electronics to detect if you use bulbs greater than 40watts and shut it down. Well, turns out even if you do use appropriate bulbs, these electronics go bad. A quick search of youtube revealed that there is a little black box that you can cut out of the circuitry and with a few minutes work my lights are now back to working perfectly :party: ... just be sure you do not use oversize bulbs ;)

Thanks for your sharing. I'm looking for more experience about outdoor ceiling fans

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.