Filter question and flow on intellichlor

ktyler

Jun 18, 2013
Southwest Louisiana
Our flow light on the intellichlor is red. It did this before, and I asked my pool builder about it, he said I needed my pump running at a higher speed, it has ran since September (when pool was installed) at this same speed and has been fine until now, so I turned it up to a higher speed, the flow light turned green again, but the pressure on the filter showed that it was time to clean the filter. So I took it apart and sprayed out the cartridges, this was about a month ago. The flow light is now red again on the intellichlor, is it normal for the cartridges to need to be cleaned again this quick? Or is it possible I need to clean the intellichlor? He told me I should not need to clean the intellichlor yet.

Depends on how dirty your pool is (low level algae growth?) and whether your filter is properly over-sized.
We recommend cleaning your filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure after which the flow rate can drop off quickly. What is your clean pressure and what did the pressure rise to before you cleaned it? {Note these readings need to be at the same speed}

Note, for a pool your size, we would recommend a filter larger than ~415 sqft ... so yours is a little smaller than we would have suggested.

You should inspect the SWG cell and see if it needs cleaned. Although I am not sure you would get a low flow light if it was dirty.

The pool isn't dirty, it's clear, no algae, we have not had any issues since the pool was installed, it was finished in September, 2013. I took a photo of my pressure reading now and my pump speed is at 1450
tane2yzy.jpg

When I turn the pump up to the next speed setting which is 2350 the flow light on my intellichlor turns green again but my pressure goes higher
runy7a2y.jpg

This is where it was before when I took it apart and sprayed out the filters a month ago. When I ran it on the higher speed the pressure stayed high so I thought it meant I should clean it.

My pool builder didn't give me any information on cleaning it, not how to or when so I'm trying to learn on my own.

I have been running the pump 24 hours a day on 1450 speed since the pool was finished, I'm reading now about it not needing to run that much in the winter. Thank you for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I am not understanding. Whenever you raise the pump speed, the filter pressure will always go up ... that is normal and offers no insight as to whether the filter needs cleaning.

So at 1450 rpm, your clean pressure is ~16 psi meaning you should clean at ~19 psi
At the 2350 rpm, your clean pressure is ~27 psi meaning you should clean at ~32 psi

The SWG has a specific required flow rate and that is what will determine the required pump speed. From what you are saying, sounds like you have to run at more than 1450 for the SWG to have adequate flow.

BUT, I have to say that seems like an overly high pressure for only 1450 rpm. Does the gauge go to 0 when the pump is off? Has it always read this high?

I would almost want to say that there is some obstruction (partially closed return valve?) after the filter that is causing higher than "normal" pressures and lower flow rates.

So ... what has changed since it was working before?

If the SWG flow light came on after cleaning the filter, some trash bypassed the filter and is now sitting on top of the flow switch.

Remove the SWG and clean any loose debri...

Jason I understand that the pressure will go up when the pump is running faster. I was just looking at it in relation to that gauge on top. I assumed once it was over 20 I had to clean it because it says clean filter with the arrow pointing to 20. I thought anything higher than that wasn't good. I assumed that was set by the manufacturer. The sw generator worked fine from September until January at the speed of 1450 and then the flow light came on. I turned the speed up higher and the flow light turned green again but I thought the pressure was too high since it was past where it said clean filter, I thought it had to stay between the two silver arrows. So I cleaned the filter and then the sw generator worked fine at 1450 again and the flow light on sw generator was green up until this week it went back to red. Right after I cleaned it the pressure was reading about 13psi so it's always been around where it is now.

When I turn the pump off it does not go to 0 I took a photo with the pump off its around 10
y8edyhyr.jpg

I took a photo of the plumbing also. I have no idea what a return valve is. The only thing we can turn on or off with a valve is the deck jets
yga8u5ar.jpg

Jerryt thank you also I will figure out how to check that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Those arrows move (you can turn them). The idea being point the start arrow at the clean pressure and then cleaning when the pressure got to the other arrow. But they are based on the old recommendation at cleaning at 10psi rise which is just way too much and does not take the pump speed into account.

Well, you need to get a new gauge if it does not go to 0 with the pump off. No telling if it is giving accurate readings and maybe that explains why it seemed so high. That is your first step.

Then you need to pick a speed that you will use to check the filter (2450 would be good). Then get a reading for when the filter is clean and then run at whatever speed you want, but occasionally put it back on 2450 and see if the pressure has risen over 20-25% which would tell you to clean it.

I would check that nothing is clogging up the SWG cell and until all this is pressure gauge stuff is straightened out, just run at a high enough speed to keep the SWG happy.

Those arrows move (you can turn them). The idea being point the start arrow at the clean pressure and then cleaning when the pressure got to the other arrow. But they are based on the old recommendation at cleaning at 10psi rise which is just way too much and does not take the pump speed into account.

Well, you need to get a new gauge if it does not go to 0 with the pump off. No telling if it is giving accurate readings and maybe that explains why it seemed so high. That is your first step.

Then you need to pick a speed that you will use to check the filter (2450 would be good). Then get a reading for when the filter is clean and then run at whatever speed you want, but occasionally put it back on 2450 and see if the pressure has risen over 20-25% which would tell you to clean it.

I would check that nothing is clogging up the SWG cell and until all this is pressure gauge stuff is straightened out, just run at a high enough speed to keep the SWG happy.

Ok thank you so much. We are still under warranty with everything. My builder is supposed to come out soon, our liner comes loose from the steps and bench every time it rains, he says he will try to figure out how to fix it, so when he is here working on that I'm going to show him the gauge. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.