Jalapeno peppers--Heat reduction!

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
This ties in to the thread I made on wifeys grilled Jalapeno recipe. To reduce the "HEAT" in those sliced, gutted out jalapenos(for all you NON-Texans:p!), you can soak them in 7up overnight. I'd soak mine in tequila if they wouldn't spontaneously combust!

I read the title and said "Who would want to reduce the heat of a Jalapeno?" I've been complaining they aren't hot enough. I got a chuckle @ the Texan comment. (7th Gen Texan here)

Jalapeno Tequila....hmmm....:p

We recently had a party and one of the offerings was green chili. This was the first time I made green chili (I make a whole lot more Texas red chili). Well I did several taste tests while I was making the green chili and then had my DW taste-test it as well. We both thought it had a good flavor, but I thought it needed more heat. DW thought I should leave it as-is since we were having a big crowd and were not sure of everyone's heat tolerance. We were at an impasse for a while. So while I was up one morning (and she was still asleep), I snuck another jalapeno in the chili (don't tell her). Then, after the morning caffeine kicked in, a better solution emerged...make my own green hot sauce and serve it on the side. Those who wanted more heat could add it to their serving. As it turned out, we got lots of compliments on both the green chili and the green hot sauce. All hail the power of the jalapeno! :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice thread woodyP!
hmm...I think Texans harnessed the heat via the Chili Queens of San Antonio and Louisiana perfected the flavor with the cayenne pepper and Creole. One thangs fer sure, I can’t get a nuff!
DSC_2600_zpsa26c1d66.jpg

Why is it that Texan's think they invented hot food? :stirpot::stirpot::stirpot:

View attachment 27512

Those are some very fine products there! All but the Crystal hot sauce have found a spot in my pantry. Love, love, love the Cajun Power Garlic Sauce. We use it to inject whole chickens before roasting them. Oh and we also coat the skin with a layer of Chacheres' too. My two oldest boys love anything hot and spicy! The last time the oldest made a batch of his nuclear salsa the fumes had me coughing in my room upstairs!

Pragmatic,

So your from the major metro area of Buna, I drove through their on the way home the back way through Bon Weir about a year ago coming from Conroe. That was one strange evening, I ate at what had to be the worlds smallest Chilli's restaurant in the Wal-Mart parking lot in Sillsbee, then on up 96 through Buna while this crazy thunderstorm was approaching, wind gusting and lightning everywhere just at dusk.

Pragmatic,

So your from the major metro area of Buna, I drove through their on the way home the back way through Bon Weir about a year ago coming from Conroe. That was one strange evening, I ate at what had to be the worlds smallest Chilli's restaurant in the Wal-Mart parking lot in Sillsbee, then on up 96 through Buna while this crazy thunderstorm was approaching, wind gusting and lightning everywhere just at dusk.
Wow, that's quite a drive! Yes sir, Buna is certainly an ole Lumber town (Bessmay). I really love the East Texas Pines. Our Family property was once all the area on and behind the Dairy Queen. I was born in what is now their "Old-Folks-Home". My fathers side are all from that area..Evadale, Kountz, Lumberton, Jasper and good ole Kirbyville!

Why is it that Texan's think they invented hot food? :stirpot::stirpot::stirpot:

View attachment 27512

Texans invented everything. Silly goose. We just let others put their names on it, you know...cause we don't want to look like jerks.

My wife just discovered the Creole seasoning...now it goes in everything hahaha.

I need to find some of that Cajun power Garlic sauce. Is it like Siracha?

If you have an HEB nearby you might find Cajun Power there. They started selling it in Houston last year. I have bought it from a local restaurant/market and I have ordered gallon jugs from their website. They make a regular and a spicy version. Spicy is a little hotter than I like but I'm not a big fan of peppers, unlike my son who eat habeneros for fun. I like to cook with it, but the boys will use it like ketchup and just pour it over anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.