Gunite Pool Bonding

Jul 31, 2009
Gonzales, La
Attached is a picture of my brothers gunite pool bonding wire. When installed it was clamped to the rebar using some type of clamp. Question I have is why did the electric guy leave a loop in the wire? When the gunite was sprayed the gunite crew actually stuck the loop out into the pool past the gunite and left a formed socket like around the pool returns with the wire sticking out. They said the plaster crew would plaster it in when plaster is installed. Is this correct?

Bonding wire was connected to the pool in one spot and not in several spots all around the pool. Is this correct? And also connected to the rebar and welded wire on the concrete deck around the pool.

Thanks,
Todd

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 179
Here's another person scratching his head. I know that my pool has this ground wire around the perimeter, attached every so many feet with identical clamp. I have not seen any loops like this in mine.

The only reason I could think of doing that is to provide a bond to equipment that will be installed later. Are there any plans for spillways or metal sculptures or ladders or any other metal parts that will need to be connected in the future?

By code the bonding wire is supposed to be attached to the rebar in the structural shell of the pool at four distinct locations spread out around the pool. That also applies, separately, to the steel reinforcing grid used in the deck (i.e. at least four connections for the deck and four more for the structural shell).

You do want to leave some slack in the wire near the point of connection to avoid mechanical stress damaging the connection during construction, but you don't need that much slack and there is no reason for the bonding wire to appear on the water side of the gunite unless there is a fixture or metal fitting of some kind intended for that location.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.